Parole

Dear Harper,

I told you that we'd survive, and we did. It has been the most grueling year of my life, but we made it; I say we because I never could've done it without you. You were my reason to fight. You still are.

The Kingdom has been a good change for me, even your dad thinks so. I haven't picked up a knife except to cook and I haven't touched a gun except if I was handing it to someone. The doctor here has been amazing and we found a system that works for me. Am I all better? No. But with medication and a strong support system, I will be able to manage my mental health better. There is no cure for mental health disorder, only treatments.

Watching you grow has been one of the biggest blessings in my life. I was so jealous when you said dada first, but since you learned mama, it's all you've been saying, even your dad is starting to get jealous, though he won't admit it.

Your favorite things have been the same since you were born; you love cuddling with your mom and dad, bath time, playing with Hershel when we go to Hilltop, and playing with Jerry while in the Kingdom; god do you love Jerry. You've been such an inspiration for him and his wife to try and have kids of their own, and as of last month, they had their first child. You bring life to so many people, and you're only one.

Your birthday was nothing like I expected to be. People from every community showed up with homemade or scavenged presents and someone made you a small cake. You had the time of your life, and your dad and I had one hell of a mess to clean. I'm still picking out chunks of cake and icing from your nose from time to time.

Today is a nerve-racking day for me. Today, the council is gathering here in the Kingdom to check on me and see if I'm ready to be considered a free woman. If I am "released", I've got a lot to think about. Will we stay here? Will we go back to Alexandria? The Sanctuary? Oceanside? Hilltop? A lot has happened over the year and Hilltop now has room for us, or at least Maggie said there will be soon; I think it was her way of inviting us to live at Hilltop. Still, it's not my decision, it is our decision as a family. In the end, we gotta do what's best for everyone. Today marks a fresh new start, Harper, let's embrace the world together.

Love Always,
Mom

"Lunch is on, sweet thang!" Jerry smiled as he entered the room with a food tray.

"Smells great." I smiled back as I closed my journal and turned to him. "What is it?"

"Pan seared chicken with a honey and mustard reduction with a patate purée, maïs beurré, and pain à l' ail." I looked down at the tray and instantly laughed.

"Seriously? Ya couldn't have just said honey mustard chicken, mashed potatoes, buttered corn, and garlic bread?"

"Not today, shorty. It is a special day, so only the best for you today."

"Yeah, the day I possibly get off house arrest for two counts of murder, one which I still say I'm innocent...to an extent."

"Well, you didn't really have much of an argument against it. Plus, with no witnesses—"

"Yeah yeah, I know." I huffed.

"Ja!" I looked across the room and smiled at Harper, who was holding onto the crib bars and staring up at Jerry.

"Hey, squirt!" Jerry beamed with joy and picked her up into his massive arms and gave her a gentle hug. "JaJa's missed you!" Jerry looked over at me. "She feeling better?"

"Seems to be. Like the doctor said, just a lil' cold, is all." I took a bite of my chicken and smiled. "This shit's not that bad, who's the cook today?"