Law & Order

MICHAELA'S POV

The cuffs above my elbows dug into my skin, my entire body ached, but I was ready to get this over with. Gabriel and Rosita came and got me from my cell, Negan was silent. I was taken to what used to be the church, which still looked like a church, but instead of a podium, there was a long table. Behind the table sat Rick, Michonne, Aaron, Ezekiel, and two empty chairs. Gabriel and Rosita sat me down in a chair behind my own table and went off to their seats; Rosita sat behind me, Gabriel took one of the empty chairs behind the table. "What's with the empty chair?" I asked.

"Maggie." Aaron answered. "She had went into labor after we left the Sanctuary."

"Oh...and the baby?"

"He's healthy."

"He..." I couldn't help but to smile. All those nightmares I had about Maggie losing her baby had been wrong; I could finally feel myself relax.

"Hershel Rhee. He looks just like Glenn."

"Well, be sure to pass along my best wishes." Aaron gave me a gentle nod.

"Michaela, I'm sure ya can guess why you're here?" Rick spoke up.

"Because I killed Patrick."

"The council is here to decide whether or not you're an endangerment to the communities." Michonne added. "We will hear statements from witnesses and anyone who has something to say, and then your side of the story. Afterwards, we will have you taken back to your cell and we will deliberate. Any questions before we start?"

"Can ya remove the cuffs from my arms? They're hurtin' somethin' awful."

"No."

"Then loosen 'em? They're cuttin' me up." Michonne looked over at Rosita and gave her a nod. Rosita stood up and grabbed me tight by my arms, and loosened the cuffs.

"Better?"

"Much, thank you."

"Michaela." Gabriel spoke. "You stand accused of overkill, what say you?"

"I say it was a successful execution."

"Do you deny your blatant disrespect for a corpse?"

"Oh, no, I don't deny that."

"So, you plead guilty?"

"Define guilty. Did I kill a man? Yes. Did I torture 'em? Definitely."

"Did you or did you not put his corpse on display?"

"Like decoratin' a Christmas tree." The room fell silent.

"Michaela, admitting guilt isn't really helping your case." Aaron added.

"No, but I can't plead not guilty, can I? I mean, name one fucktard out there you know that would do that? Go on." Aaron didn't respond. "See? Ain't no point in lyin' when I'm obviously guilty."

"I motion to find the defendant guilty." Michonne sighed. "All those in favor—"

"Whoa!" I interrupted. "Ya didn't even give me a chance to defend myself."

"Defend yourself?" Rick asked. "Ya openly admit what ya did and show no remorse for it. What can ya even say to defend yourself?"

"I did it, yes, but not once did I say that I plead guilty."

"Then how do you plea?

"I plea insanity." The room filled with sighs of frustration. They were hoping for an open-closed case, but I was gonna make them work for it. This wasn't just my life, it was my children's lives, too, and I wasn't gonna go down without a fight. "I believe it's time to call your first witness." I playfully whispered.