Dancing Through Unwanted Dreams

Dear Harper,

I was attacked. I was accused of stealing. I was found innocent. I didn't throw anyone under the bus, I just told the truth...sometimes you have to know when to be the bigger person. Even little people can cast big shadows.

Rick, Maggie, Cyndie, Ezekiel, and Carol have come to an agreement, we're rebuilding the bridge. This is a huge step forward for the future of our communities. Trade will be easier, as will travel for hunting and scavenging. It leaves us open for more herds, but together, we can survive; we can conquer this new world and make it ours.

The person who attacked me had been ordered to stay away from me and as a sign of trust, Rick is allowing me to help out at the construction site's camp. I'd stay there like he wanted me to, but I can't bring you out there, not yet, the world isn't ready for you yet, but I will make it ready.

Eugene thinks there's a reason why you didn't turn. I didn't want to believe it, but I can't lie to myself anymore. I can't deny the fact that you somehow survived something that is usually a death sentence and only walked away with a scar.

I keep thinking of our future. We're all infected, that's what we've all been told...but they never tested anyone who was born after the dead began to walk...I need to talk to Daddy about it, but maybe getting some blood drawn won't be so bad. After all, it's for our future.

Love always,
Mommy

"You awake?" Daryl mumbled as he gently kissed the back of my shoulder.

"Yeah," I sighed.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothin', just want this bridge to be done soon."

"Everyone does, but everythin' needs to take its time to make sure everyrhin' is done right."

"I know, I'm just excited." I rolled over and faced Daryl. "This is the first time that I've actually felt trusted. I mean, I know people had concerns with me overseein' the Saviors again, but after all that work I put in to change, to show 'em I changed, it feels...I feel like I'm actually appreciated."

"You've always been appreciated."

"Not always."

"Okay, so not entirely, but before the Saviors, ya were who people looked up to, who they knew they could count on. We're gettin' back to that, it's just gonna take time."

"I know," I nodded. "I can wait, I'm just glad for the opportunity."

"We better get goin'." I gently nodded and Daryl kissed my forehead before climbing out of bed, only to stop and look back at me. When I didn't move. "You comin'?"

"Yeah." The day hasn't even started yet, and it was already looking to be a bad one. I dreamed...of him.

~BEGIN DREAM~

The rooms as filled with the aroma of a rich venison stew. Potatoes, celery, various spices, and venison that sat in a simmering pot as I got dressed from my hot bath. The soft sound of music filled the apartment with a cathartic melody, sure to relax Negan once he came home. Today was a rough day for him. A group of runners went out for supplies and one of the new guys wasn't paying attention and got bit right on the shoulder. Simon has to put him down right there.

Negan always took the loss of his people to heart, though he often didn't show it. The last time we lost someone, he was distant for a couple of days. I hated seeing him like this and was determined to make sure he could come home to a wife who would put a smile on his face.