Family Vacation

"It said run?" MJ asked as I cleaned him up in the infirmary.

"Yes," I nodded.

"From what?"

"I didn't stop to ask it, I was too busy shovin' a knife into its skull."

"So...what you mean to tell me is that four people have heard them whispering?" Jesus asked.

"Normally, if it was just me, I'd tell ya to put me back on my meds, but considerin' that MJ, Eugene, and Rosita are sane, then it's somethin' to go on."

"I just don't get it. Why now? Why would they start talking now?"

"Evolution?" Eugene suggested. "The neanderthals used to talk using their own unsophisticated language of grunts before finally developing a more understandable form of dialect. Still, even that took longer than how long walkers have been around. Plus, according to Rick and company's findings at the CDC, their brains are dead."

"Dead?"

"Pretty much. Rick broke it down to me one day. All brain activity ceases and then the brain stem eventually comes back to life, but only the brain stem. The temporal lobe is what controls memory, speech, and comprehension while the brain stem controls body functions such as consciousness, fatigue, heart rate, and blood pressure." Eugene paused briefly to take a drink of his water. "Now , I've pondered on the thought of the brain regaining function in a walker, but how long they've been dead and the lack of oxygen going to the brain, as well as blood flow, their brains most likely have the consistency and stability of a baked potato and would not be able to. So, my thoughts on the possibility of the electrical pulses of the brain stem gently zapping the other parts of the brain like a bug zapper went out the window."

"Thank you, Dr. Porter," I chuckled, earning a slight smile from Eugene.

"And you said they came by twice?" Jesus asked.

"That's affirmative," Eugene nodded. "Three times if you include the one that grabbed Michaela.

"That's not normal," Jesus thought it over for a moment. "I'm gonna have some people go with me later and see if we can find this herd and scope them out."

"Ya sure that's safe?" I asked.

"As long as we keep a distance and don't attract attention to ourselves, I don't see why not. Besides, I'm leader here and I need to make sure my people stay safe." I gently nodded. "Still, it would be great if all of us were a team again."

"Don't even go there, Jesus. Michonne ain't budgin' on that one."

"What about the paper?"

"She put a stop to it. I thought she was still goin' for it, but I was wrong. Michonne doesn't want any of us to rely on the others anymore. I know it has to do with her friend that fucked 'er over, and I get it, but us not havin' trade is killin' other groups."

"Maybe she needs someone to convince her."

"Yeah, you."

"Me?"

"You're a leader here, Jesus. Michonne has always trusted your word, maybe it's time ya sat down with 'er, leader to leader, and put all concerns on the table and deal with 'em. And do it quick, too. I heard they've got popcorn and my ass ain't missin' out on it."

"I'll do my best," Jesus chuckled.

"RIDERS!" A voice called out.

"I'm gonna see what's up," I smiled.

"I'm coming with you," MJ volunteered.

"MJ, you need to rest," Jesus begged.

"I'm not hurt," MJ argued. "I stayed to protect Eugene. I'm fine, babe." Jesus let out a sigh and nodded.