The Talk

MICHAELA's POV

"Baby?" A soft voice called out to me through the hazy veil. "Baby, wake up." My eyes fluttered open and I came face to face with Negan, who simply smiled. "There's my bright eyed angel."

"Don't call me baby," I mumbled.

"And the moment's gone," Negan chuckled. I slowly sat up and rubbed the sleep from my eyes.

"What time is it?"

"Past eleven."

"Eleven?" I frantically looked around at the sunlight bleeding through the windows. "Fuck, I was supposed to put ya in your cell last night—"

"Relax, everything's fine. Harper slept just fine, I slept in the recliner, everything's just fine."

"Michonne's gonna fuckin' kill me."

"Michonne never stopped by."

"Scott?" Negan shook his head. "That lazy fuck, he's supposed to check on you."

"Maybe he saw you come back last night and thought you were taking over."

"Maybe," I sighed.

"Bad dream?"

"The walkers." Negan rose to his feet and took his seat beside me.

"Wanna talk about it?"

"I—" I paused. "When I was headin' home last night, I heard more whispers."

"Oh? What did they say?"

"I think I heard 'we wait'. I don't know what they're waitin' on, but it's got me on edge."

"I'd say, you didn't look comfortable."

"In my dream, I was surrounded by whisperin' walkers. They just kept comin' closer and closer, and I finally woke up...it was just a dream...right?"

"Yes," Negan nodded as he gently rubbed my upper back, trying to comfort me. "It's just a dream. You hungry? I made breakfast."

"You made breakfast?" I chuckled. "Not spaghetti, but actual breakfast?"

"Hey, I'm a great cook," Negan chuckled. "Come on, get cleaned up and I'll go get Harper."

"Mommy!" Harper suddenly burst into the room and jumped into my arms.

"Okay, maybe not," Negan laughed.

"Hey, sweetie," I smiled. "Miss me?"

"Yeah!" Harper nodded. "I had fun with Negan yesterday! Can I stay the night again?"

"Maybe some other time, okay, but today you've got a playdate with RJ and Judith, remember?"

"Oh yeah...I forgot."

"Don't worry, you'll be able to come back and see Negan soon, okay? Until then, Negan has generously made us some breakfast, so go get washed up."

"Okay!" Harper quickly took off to the closest bathroom to wash up.

"You mean that?" Negan asked. "She can stay the night again?"

"I don't see why not. As ya said, everythin' went fine."

"Thank you," Negan gently nodded. "I mean it...thank you."

"People are constantly questionin' my judgment over this, lettin' ya have a relationship with Harper, but It was my call to make. I know ya better than anyone here, at Hilltop, Oceanside, and the Kingdom combined. If there's one thing I know it's that you'd never hurt Harper. You'd die protectin' 'er, and that's enough for me. She likes ya, Negan. You bein' in 'er life has made 'er so happy, even if it's only been a short period of time...I can't take that from 'er." Negan softly smiled and nodded once more. "I'm gonna get cleaned up." Negan nodded again and watched as I stood up and headed to the bathroom, nearly missing Harper as she ran out of the bathroom to go be with Negan again.