Dine and Dash

"Mommy, can we go see Negan today?" Harper asked.

"Don't talk with your mouth full," I urged. "And yes, I have to take 'em his breakfast, so we will see him once we are done eatin'."

"Yay!"

"Harper," I warned. Harper quickly swallowed her eggs.

"Sorry, Mommy."

"Thank you."

"Mommy, are you not happy anymore?"

"What would make ya think that?"

"When I was with Negan and you were making dinner."

"What happened?"

"Negan said you used to sing a lot."

"Really?"

"Yeah, he said it was annoying."

"Humph," I scoffed. "The nerve of that man. I didn't hear 'em complainin' when I sang. Well, actually, he did complain when I sang music older than him," I chuckled to myself.

"He said you sang because you were happy, but I never heard you sing before. Are you not happy, Mommy?"

"I'm happy," I reassured.

"Then why don't you sing no more?"

"Because..." I sighed. "I've been through a lot since before ya were born, but you make me so happy, Harper."

"Then why don't you sing?"

"Because I haven't felt like singin'." I finished off my orange juice and took my dishes to the sink to wash them. "Finish up and maybe I'll let ya carry the tray." Harper quickly scarfed down the rest of her eggs and handed me the plate and fork. "Don't forget about your milk." Harper finished the last bit of her milk and handed me the glass. I purposely washed the dishes as slow as I could, making her groan with frustration.

"Come on, Mommy, hurry up!"

"Okay okay," I laughed. Once the dishes were clean, I prepared Negan's tray of fresh fruit, eggs, toast, and orange juice. I carried the juice and let Harper carry the tray all the way to the jail house.

"Ooh, do I smell bacon?" Negan smiled from the window.

"You wish," I laughed. "Fresh out, I'm afraid. It's eggs, toast, and fruit today."

"Damn."

"Language!" Harper snapped.

"Sorry, Judith Jr.," Negan chuckled. Once inside, I unlocked Negan's cell and led him up the stairs and into the kitchen. Harper sat the tray down on the table watched as Negan took his seat. I handed him his juice and took my seat across from him.

"So," I smiled. "My singin' was annoyin', huh?"

"Snitch," Negan playfully scowled before turning to me. "I say it out of love, sweetheart."

"Negan—"

"Sorry. Again, it's a hard habit to break."

"Well, break it before I break your nose." I held up my prosthetic threateningly, causing him to laugh.

"Eggs are great, by the way."

"Thank you," I smiled. "So, your first full day of bein' treated better, how's it goin'?"

"Well, I get to eat breakfast with two of Alexandria's most beautiful ladies, so I'd say pretty dam—darn good." Negan smiled. "You, on the other hand don't look too hot. You feeling alright?"

"Yeah," I lied. Truth was, I didn't sleep much last night. I couldn't get my mind off the whispering walkers. Well, that and something that happened last night. Before I locked Negan in his cell, I gave him a hug. It wasn't romantic at all, but more of a gesture of gratitude for being there for me at the Sanctuary. Negan knew this and he hugged me back with the same appreciation, but when I left, I still could feel his touch on me. I wasn't in love with Negan, that wasn't a fact that was gonna change anytime soon. But being around Negan, feeling his touch made me realize that I in fact did miss the affection of a man. Five years without any form of affection. Negan awakened that feeling in me, but I definitely didn't want it from him.