A Little Off The Top

"Ouch," Jerry chuckled. "After all that, he went down with a kick to the nuts?

"Yup," I mumbled and took a sip of my water.

"Wow. I mean, you may not like it, but that dude's got a nerve of steel."

"Yeah, but definitely not balls of steel."

"Brutal," Jerry laughed.

"Jar Jar, can I have an apple please?" Harper asked.

"Sure, squirt." Jerry grabbed an apple from the bowl on the table and handed it to Harper.

"Thank you!" Harper smiled and rushed off to play with Jerry's kids.

"She's so polite."

"She better be. I made sure to hardwire that into her brain."

"How'd she take it all?"

"Not too good."

"Really?"

"She got one look at him and cried," I sighed. "She doesn't want to see him."

"And...that's a problem?"

"For me? No, but I don't want 'er choosin' that if she's doin' it because of me. I bit my tongue around 'er as much as possible, but I don't know if my hatred for Daryl rubbed off on 'er or not. She promised she wanted this and it wasn't because of me, but still."

"You know kids, they lie over the stupidest things."

"But this isn't stupid, this is her father. In all seriousness, I honestly think she'd rather spend her time with Negan."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I gave 'er the option to meet 'em and she wanted to." The room fell silent. "I dunno what it is, but they've got a weird thing goin'. It's a bond I can't understand."

"Maybe it's Joseph," Nabila suggested. "Maybe he's trying to have something with Harper that he couldn't have with Joseph."

"Maybe, but even then, she's just as attached. She even made 'em a necklace today."

"And you're okay with all this?"

"I wasn't at first, but it was ultimately Harper's decision. She wanted to meet 'em, she did, and she likes 'em. I know he won't hurt 'er because he's not that type of person, but still. It sometimes makes me uneasy."

"Well, just be happy she has a male figure in her life," Nabila smiled. "Even if it isn't Daryl."

"Yeah, maybe," I sighed. "Thanks again for letting us visit on short notice."

"I'd be insulted if you didn't come," Jerry insisted. "We haven't seen you since Michonne put the ban up."

"I know, I just wish she'd give in."

"She will," I smiled and looked over at Jerry, who instantly understood what I was trying to convey to him. "Hey, babe, why don't you go see if the kids want to go for a walk and see what the place is turning into for the festival?"

"But that'll get Harper's hopes up," Nabila argued.

"Babe." Nabila looked from Jerry to me and then back to Jerry.

"Oh...well, a walk would do them good anyways." Nabila quickly stood up and walked off to find the kids

"So, what is this you said about the walkers?"

"I heard 'em talk." Jerry fell silent. "I know, it doesn't sound credible comin' from me, but I'm not the only one who heard 'em."

"Who else?"