48 : The Hulk

The look on Darius' face was almost indescribable. The way the emotions flew across his face could've have been comical had it not been for the situation. I stared at him, shock rendering my limbs useless; I couldn't move no matter how hard I tried. How could I possibly explain the black mist surrounding Orion or the blue, shimmering wall in front of Alex that seemed to ward of Orion's attacks? There was no rational, human explanation for it.

"Beatrice...?" Darius whispered lowly, his eyes moving to Orion before slowly dragging over to Alex and then away again.

"I - I can explain," I stepped forward, an uneasy feeling settling in my gut. I wasn't sure if it was guilt or anxiety but whatever it was it made me stumble towards Darius, arms waving as if I could erase what he'd just seen.

I wasn't paying as much attention as I should've been. There was a mad, deranged cackle that sliced through the air, drawing goosebumps from my body. I felt a whoosh of air coming from behind me, heard Darius bellow. "NO!"

With my body half-turning around, my world spun when I was knocked to the side. My body flew back, flipping over from the strength of whoever pushed me and landing with my body feeling incredibly sore next to a car.

I groaned into the ground as pain bloomed all over my body, inhaling the sidewalk and then coughing out the small piece of bubble gum paper and the tiny pieces of granite. I rolled over, tongue out, spitting up in an attempt to get rid of the disgusting taste of the pavement. Despite this, my mouth burned.

Lilliana screamed but unlike her earlier sound this sounded as if she was hurt. I blearily raised my head, wondering if I had just lost all of my braincells. Darius was towering over Lilliana, pushing her forcefully to her knees as he twisted her wrists painfully, despite the claws that she was trying to desperately aim at his face. The expression on his face was thunderous and his arms bulged from the sheer amount of force he was exercising on Lilliana who looked like she didn't believe it.

I picked up my body, taking an unsteady step forward.

Lilliana couldn't face off Darius no more. She dropped to her knees, falling like weakened jelly. Her face was the picture of pure terror as Darius grabbed her by the throat, looking like he was intending to separate her head from her body.

"NO!" It was Orion who roared the word this time, his voice expressing the emotion on Lilliana's face. His hand spread out suddenly, a shot of dark light hitting Alex straight in the chest and throwing him back. His hand moved to aim at Darius, his chest heaving. "Let him go!"

Darius' face was full of disbelief and he taunted. "What are you going to do, you fool? She'll be dead before you can --"

Enraged, Orion held out his second hand and the black light crackled like lightening as it zoomed to Darius' chest. Darius' hold on Lilliana was gone as his body slammed against the fence.

Orion hurried over, grabbing Lilliana quickly, and pulling her up. "Do anything and I'll let him kill you." He hissed menacingly.

"Orion," I said weakly, watching Alex get up. "You need to leave. Now."

"What about you?" Despite everything, Orion still had time to look worried for me.

"I'll be fine," I waved my hand at him, picking up how my voice slurred. The fall really took its toll on me. I felt ready to collapse at any moment. My brain was ticking closer to shutting down. "Get Leo back for us, will you?"

Orion nodded grimly, his hand pressing against Lilliana's forehead. Seconds later, her eyes shut and her head dropped. He picked up her body, throwing her over his shoulder. He didn't waste time in running as Alex got up, frantically looking around. "No! No! Come back, you bastard!"