7 : You Should've Brought Toilet Paper

I hadn't seen Deacon for a full week and each day passed by at a snail's pace, making my worry and anxiety increase. I was constantly looking over my shoulder and was on the edge, jumpy at an odd sound or a voice that sounded familiar to Deacon's but wasn't.

I took it on myself to be nicer to Ross and Kelly and as a result I found myself walking home with them everyday instead of being alone like I normally be. Every time we passed the forest, I felt eyes burning into me and made sure to stand between Ross and Kelly.

"So," Kelly flipped her long, blonde hair back, whacking me full in the face. I spat out bits of her hair, making a face but choosing not to comment. "What are we going to do this weekend?"

"Party at my house," Ross grinned.

"Won't your dad be there?" I asked frowning.

"I haven't seen him for a couple of days now, I think the bastard is pissed somewhere in a brothel and I'm hoping he'll stay there for another couple of days. Anyway, get a few people round and I'll see what I can do about a couple of drinks." He turned to Kelly. "Spread the word to your cute friends. Not Bertha, she's ugly as hell."

Kelly shrugged. "It better be a good party, Ross."

"It will," Ross held up his hand to high-five Ali, giving him a sideways smirk.

"I'll need to go home first, tell my sister to cover for me."

Kelly linked arms with me. "Of course you do. Afterwards you should come to my house and I'll help you get ready."

"Um, sure," I smiled back hesitantly at her.

"We're all set then, meet at my house at six, tell a few people but remember to keep it on the low, alright? I don't need some snitch telling my old man when he gets back."

Nodding and agreeing, we all parted ways and I didn't even noticed we had already passed the deadly silent forest. I looked back, feeling like I was being watched but I quickly put that down to my paranoia.

The uneaten sandwich in my bag felt heavy, weighing me down and setting itself as a constant reminder.
** ** ** ** **

"Where are you going?" Ellie asked, leaning against the doorway.

I glanced at her, taking out a short, ruffled, black skirt. "What do you think?"

She shrugged. "It's - It's nice,"

"Yeah," I pushed it back in the wardrobe. "But not right..." I picked up a pretty blue dress, and held it up against my body. "Too preppy, right?"

"I l-like it. Where a-are you-you going?"

"A party," I shrugged, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Does...Does Mum k-know?"

"No," I sighed. "So, please don't tell her, Ells. I'll probably be back way before she comes home."

"I w-won't," Ellie fixed her crutches. "I'll s-see y-you later."

Feeling a sudden rush of guilt, I called out. "Wait... Do you want to come?"

"T-to a party?" She scoffed. "You-you're joking, r-right? What am I s-supposed to d-do? Hobble o-on the d-dance floor and s-smile as - as everyone l-l-laughs at me?"

"No, Ellie, they wouldn't do that-"

"That's - that's easy f-for you to say." She gave me one last glance. "And I w-wouldn't w-wear that skirt, you'd - you'd look like a t-tart."

I shook my head in disappointment, biting down on my lip as I scrunched up the dress and sat down on my bed. Because of her cerebral palsy Ellie held herself back from what everyone else was doing, she was letting CP stop her from enjoying life. I didn't know what to do and I did try to engage her but she always withdrew.