19 : A Change of Clothes

**** Sick and ill, forgive me for the mistakes. - not edited at all. ***

"Before we get all crazy with the guns and knifes, can I please call my lawyer?" Mum asked, stepping backwards. "I'm gonna need a witness here."

"Get behind me, Beatrice." Cade said calmly, loading up his gun.

Mum sighed, rolling her eyes. "If I was going to hurt her I would've done it before."

"You're not going to hurt Mum, are you?" I asked anxiously, staying put.

"Orion is using your mother's body, she's already been opened - meaning he can use her whenever he wants to." Cade looked apologetically at me. "And sometimes we won't be able to know. You know what I have to do, Beatrice."

"You can't!" I cried, feeling my heart thud to a dangerous beat and I moved forward, stepping in front of Cade, trying to block his way.

"Beatrice--"

"Wait, wait Cade." I babbled, thinking hard and desperately. "Can't Deacon get out of Mum or stop - stop using her?"

Cade flickered his eyes towards Mum and said slowly. "He can do that...but I doubt he's going to want to, will you?"

"Hell no!" Mum laughed, throwing some grapes into her mouth. "This woman keeps her body fit and damn, her booty is toned!"

Disgusted, I let my nails bite into my palms to stop myself from charging after Mum.

"Beatrice?" Cade looked at me and I turned, going over to stand in front of Mum and begging her, hating Deacon all the while. "Please Deacon? Please just get out. Stop using Mum, I don't want her to get hurt because of you."

"Why? Why should I do it just because you asked?"

I stepped forward, just one step closer and said softly. "Because if you don't, I'll hate you forever - and you know how I am with my grudges." I played all my cards at once, hoping to the high heavens that it would work and that Deacon, despite his murderous side, actually cared.

Mum stayed silent for a long time, holding my gaze and I swallowed, scared witless at what Deacon might say. My palms felt clammy and I felt dizzy. Finally, Mum's jaw locked and she uttered an annoyed breath. "You owe me one, Doll."

Her eyes rolled back, and she fell forward, completely knocked out. I rushed forward to catch her, holding her up by her arms and dragging her until Cade moved me aside and picked her up to put her on the living room sofa. I wiped away the thin layer of nervous sweat on my forehead, relieved and exhausted at the day's work.

"Were you really going to shoot her?"

"I had a feeling Orion would stop," Cade said.

"And what if, say he didn't?"

Cade bowed his head and I understood at once.

"Okay," I whispered, looking down at Mum and thinking of horrible scenarios of where Deacon refused to leave Mum.

Cade placed a blanket over Mum and I hovered anxiously over his shoulder, unable to keep still. "She is going to be okay, isn't she?"

He placed a hand on her forehead, lifting an eyelid and shining a light from the torch he slipped out of his pocket. "She'll be fine," he smiled thinly at me, stepping back. "I think you're safe now. I highly doubt Orion will come back. I'll ask Alex to whip up something tomorrow to stop your mother being taken by Orion anymore but for now I think you should rest; you've had a long day, you must be tired."

"Would Alex be able to do it?"

"Of course, he's done it before." Cade walked out into the hallway, with myself being his shadow. "Stop worrying; your mother is out of danger."