41 : Illness

"Beatrice? Honey, wake up,"

Sleep clung to me and I was dazed, unable to tell where I was. My neck ached and I felt stiff all over. "Come on, get up,"

"Where am I?" I blearily asked, blindly following Mum.

"Outside Ellie's room, I've no idea how you've got here. Let's just get you to bed, alright?"

I felt sick, my stomach spun like a washing machine, and I pressed a hand to my forehead, feeling dizzy. "Ma--"

"What is it, baby?"

I straightened up, the pain vanishing almost as sudden as it came. "I, I don't know,"

"Let's get you to bed."

********
"I'm busy!"

"I'm not telling you twice," Darius glared.

"Can you not freaking see --" I doubled over, in sudden pain. I gripped on to the chair, trying not to collapse.

"What's wrong with you?"

"I --" Suddenly, I could no longer breathe and my knees folded and I lay on the floor, gasping frantically.

Darius rushed over and my eyes rolled to the back of my head.

********
"Hurry u-up," Ellie yelled, knocking on the bathroom door. "I need to get r-ready for school!"

I was trying not to scream out in pain. I was sitting on the toilet something that had become a frequent occupation for me. "Ow," I groaned lowly, my eyes squeezing shut as I pressed down onto my painful stomach. "Wait!"

Ten minutes later, Mum was knocking on the door. "Beatrice? Open the door please," the doorknob jiggled.

"Just...wait, damn it!" Cleaning myself up, I flushed the toilet and washed my hands throughly. I splashed water on my face, trying to ignore the stabs of pain thrumming through my stomach. I looked like utter crap.

"I'm calling the doctor," Mum said, her eyes roving up and down my body. Worry brought lines of sadness on her face.

"I don't need to see a doctor," I grounded my teeth together, passing her and avoiding my sister's gaze. "And I'm not going out to see a doctor."

"Beatrice--"

I slammed my bedroom door, sliding down until I rested on the floor and I brought my knees to my chest.

I wouldn't be able to make it out the front door, let alone across town to the doctor's surgery.
********

"She's here again."

"How long has this been going on?"

"Just recently. I don't think she realises... Why outside Ellie's bedroom, though?"

"I'm as clueless as you are."

"Beatrice," Mum shook me gently, her voice soft. "Beatrice, come on. You need to get to your own bed."

I wanted to speak out but my throat was dry and I found it extremely hard to breathe. I could only focus on breathing.

In... Out... In... In...! Breathe.

"Beatrice? Wake up," I could hear Mum clearly, I just couldn't respond. Her tone became frantic. "Why isn't she waking up? Beatrice!"

Breathe. Breathe.

I can't... breathe.

"Here, let me try," Darius said, I felt him kneel besides me. "Beatrice, come on. Enough's enough. You need to sleep in your own bedroom."