CHAPTER ONE

Xiao Zhan tried to keep his eyes opened as he listened to his client, rant about her ex-boyfriend

Xiao Zhan tried to keep his eyes opened as he listened to his client, rant about her ex-boyfriend. He disregarded his rumbling stomach as he made notes on his notepad, attempting to pay attention. Inside, he was craving lasagna with marinara meat sauce. Despite his present discomfort, Zhan loved being a psychologist. It had always been his dream, and the client's love life was one of the things keeping Zhan busy in his line of work.

"So you see, Dr. Xiao, I can't imagine my life without him. He is the love of my life, but I can't seem to get through to him,"

She raved.

"Fei if you two are not together, why are you wasting your time thinking about him?" Zhan asked patiently.

"Because he really has a good heart. I know he does. If only he would let me know how he feels about me, and stop playing games,"

Fei explained.

Zhan made more notes on his pad. His unruly stomach growled again, and he wished he had snuck a snack inside his bag. Why didn't I grab a granola bar? Then he glanced at his clock. His session with Fei was over. Zhan then uncrossed his legs, sat his glasses on his desk, and put down his notepad.

"I'm sorry Fei, but it looks like our time is up," he informed the young brown-headed
woman.

"Already? It feels like I just got here,"

Fei stated. She rose from her spot on the chaise lounge sofa.

"Same time next week?"

Zhan answered.

"You're leaving out of town this week right? Why don't we make an appointment after Christmas?"

He led Fei to the door.

"That's right. My parents asked me to come home this year. I'll let you know my schedule when I get back. Thank you so much, Dr. Xiao. I really appreciate your time,"

Fei replied.

She hugged Zhan and exited his office. Zhan's assistant, Yu Bin, waved goodbye as Fei left the building.

"I don't know why, but I'm tired all of a sudden,"

Zhan admitted as he sat in one of the chairs in the waiting room.

"If it makes you feel any better it is your lunch break. Your next appointment is in two hours,"

Bin reminded him.

"Great. I need all my strength before I talk with Mr. and Mrs. Jiang,"

Zhan responded and grabbed his coat. Then he retrieved his wallet from under his office desk.

As he marched out the door, he mulled over his next appointment. He knew he wasn't a miracle worker, but he was certain that Mr. and Mrs. Jiang still loved each other. It was evident by the lingering glances they would share during their sessions. At one time, Mr. Jiang even clasped his wife's hand as he shared his concerns about their unstable marriage. While Zhan knew all he could do was try, the choice to stay together would be up to the couple.