55

KINGDOM FALL
— 55. The Youngest Stark

FIVE YEARS BEFOREWINTERFELL

FIVE YEARS BEFORE
WINTERFELL

Days after Robb had called Winterfell's bannermen to fight in the war alongside him, Annalys stood in her room, readying herself to leave with him.

She tightly grasped her sword in her hand, the one Robb had made for her. She felt comfortable with it in her hand, but something about it still didn't seem right. However, she didn't tell Rob that.

She eyed it closely, a small smile forming on her lips at the fact that Robb had a bow and a sword created just for her.

Before Annalys could react, the door to her room suddenly opened. She turned her head to see that it had been Rickon,, who looked to be on the verge of crying.

Annalys immediately turned to face Rickon, a concerned look on her face, "What is it, Rickon?" She questioned him, "What's wrong?"

"Please don't go, Annalys," Rickon pleaded with Annalys, shaking his head as she tears threatened to spill from his already sad eyes, "Please don't leave with Robb."

Annalys sighed, placing her sword on the table in its sheath on the table. After doing so, she immediately began to make her way toward the six year old boy.

A saddened look on her face, Annalys knelt in front of Rickon. She lightly grabbed onto his arms, looking him directly in the eyes as he spoke to her.

"Let me come with you. You can teach me how to fight," Rickon continued to beg in a pleading tone, tears finally following from his eyes, "I can learn to fight like you. Please, don't leave me here."

Annalys sadly smiled at Rickon, feeling guilty that she had to leave the small boy. Since the moment Catelyn had been forced to stay at Bran's side months before when he fell from the broken tower, Annalys had the one to take on a somewhat of a mother-figure role in his life.

He frequently followed her around, just as he did with Robb. However, unlike Robb, Annalys truly paid attention to him. Robb was always busy taking care of ruling Winterfell in his father's stead.

"You know I can't bring you with me, Rickon," Annalys whispered to the young boy softly, trying her hardest not to look sad even though she was actually was, "You could get hurt."

In truth, she didn't want to leave him alone. She didn't want to leave Bran either. They were far too young to be left in a castle alone without any family. And in truth, Annalys was considered their family.

"I don't care!" Rickon exclaimed, letting a small whimper, "Bran says you'll be my sister when you and Robb marry. As your brother, I have to protect you."