23

KINGDOM FALL
— 23. Joffrey's Wedding

    Outside the castle at a banquet table, Annalys sat with Sansa, Tyrion, Joffrey, Tywin, Cersei, Tommen, and Pycelle

    Outside the castle at a banquet table, Annalys sat with Sansa, Tyrion, Joffrey, Tywin, Cersei, Tommen, and Pycelle. Mace Tyrell stood before them, gifting Joffrey with his wedding gift, "From House Tyrell and the people of the Reach, Your Grace, it is my honor to present you with this wedding cup." Mace explained to Joffrey, placing the cup in front of Joffrey, "May you and my daughter Margaery drink deep and live long."

"A handsome goblet, my lord," Joffrey thanked the man, beginning to smirk, "Or shall I call you Father?"

Annalys rolled her eyes at Joffrey, which was something she found herself doing quite a lot in his presence.

"I shall be honored, Your Grace," Mace responded, bowing before leaving.

Annalys frowned when she saw her mother eying one of the handmaids. She watched as the woman brought a tray to the table and set it before Sansa, "She's the whore I told you about," Cersei whispered to Tywin, which caught Annalys' attention, "The dark-haired one."

Tywin turned his head to see what Cersei was talking about, watching as the woman, whose name was Shae, walked away and left, "Have her brought to the Tower of the Hand before the wedding." Tywin ordered and both Tyrion and Annalys immediately became concerned, each for different reasons.

As Podrick walked past Annalys, he sent her a small smile, just before he placed a large book before Joffrey while Tyrion walked to stand at the front of the table, "A book?" Joffrey asked, a puzzled look on his face.

"'The Lives of Four Kings.'" Tyrion told his nephew in a calm tone, "Grand Maester Kaeth's history of the reigns of Daeron the Young Dragon, Baelor the Blessed, Aegon the Unworthy, and Daeron the Good. A book every king should read."

Joffrey stared at Tyrion, looking to be at a loss for words. Tywin turned to look at Joffrey, gesturing for him to respond kindly, "Now that the war is won, we should all find time for wisdom. Thank you, Uncle." Joffrey tried his best to maintain kindness with Tyrion despite that fact that he wanted to do the opposite.

Tyrion bowed, walking back over to his seat. From her seat in the chair next to her mother, Annalys immediately noticed how the handmaiden, Shae, looked at her uncle as he passed by. There was clearly something going on there. She just knew it.

Annalys was snapped out of her thoughts when she found the Mountain approaching the group, causing her face to turn cold. The large man brought forth a sword, laying it down on the table before Joffrey as Tywin stood up, "One of only three Valyrian steel swords in the capital, Your Grace, freshly forged in your honor." He explained in a calm tone.

Joffrey, who was excited about the gift, quickly stood up and walked around the table, immediately unsheathing the sword, "Careful, Your Grace. Nothing cuts like Valyrian steel." Pycelle warned Joffrey, who clearly not going to listen to his warning.