Basic Straining Pt.2/ A Broken Heart?

(Ok, since last chapter was already long, I figured it'd be best to make it two chapters. Enjoy.)

Sure enough, at 0500, Chef woke everyone up via air horn and sent us all down to an area near the edge of the woods. There, set up, was a training course. "You will all run this course until you can all complete it in under one minute. Am I making myself clear?" Chef asks, getting in Duncan's face. I stiffen, grabbing hold of his arm. If he gets in trouble, there's nothing I can do for him.

"Crystal." He replies, smirking. "If you lose this for us, I'm gonna make you so miserable." Courtney warns. I roll my eyes. "Go, maggots, go!" Chef yells. In one second, I take off, already way ahead of the others. By the time they've even started climbing over the wall, I've already done so, swung across the rope and jumped through the tire. I take off running once I touch the ground again, before jumping, sliding across the muddied ground underneath the swinging axes. I then quickly circle back.

I jump over the wall once again, just after Harold falls off and lands in the mud. I kneel down to check on him. Duncan catches up to us. "Uh, General Crazy, we've got a situation here." He tells to Chef as he walks up. "Too much mud." He coughs. I pat his back, looking up at Chef. "Ring the bell and report to the infirmary. Your tour of duty is finished." Chef orders. I stand back up. "Wow. Poor guy." Duncan says. "Back on the course, soldiers, now!" Chef orders.

Just like that, I'm gone again, leaving the others in the dust again. "One false move, and I'll be on you like stink on a poop wagon." Even while I'm running I can hear Chef warning Duncan. "I look forward to it, sir." I hear Duncan reply. Oh, Duncan. You're really asking for it, you know.

I've already finished the course twice, and I'm starting the third time now. I jump over the wall, right before Courtney. Swing across the rope, doing a back flip off of it. Heather somehow got tied upside down to one of the ropes. I jump through the tire once more, landing on my feet just in front of Geoff, who has fallen into the mud. I then slide under the axes, passing between Duncan and Leshawna. I look back to see Leshawna get stuck in the mud.

"Fallen soldier, I salute you." Duncan says, crawling past her. I frown. I stand up just as he turns to see Chef's boots in front of him. "You just bought yourself 20 more push-ups." He orders. He turns to me. "How many laps have you done, Talon?" He demands. I salute him. "I just finished my third lap, sir. All three in under one minute, sir." I state. He nods. "Take a break, soldier. You've earned it." He tells me. He turns back to Duncan. "I said, 20 more push-ups, soldier!" Duncan quickly gets up. "Thank you." He says, kissing Chef's nose. Both his and my eyes widen, but for different reasons. My hands cover my mouth.

"I think you may have pushed him over the edge, bro." Geoff whispers. "I think you're right." He replies. Chef looks about ready to kill Duncan. I now fear for his life. "One night solitary confinement in the boathouse." Chef whispers. I pale at the sound of his voice. No anger is scarier than when the person whispers, because they're just that angry. It's almost the same as if he were to actually try to kill Duncan, and I know he probably could, and could most likely make it look like an accident.

Everyone gasps, but Duncan seems unfazed. "Big deal. How scary can it be?" He asks, before Chef grabs his arm and begins to drag him away, ordering everyone to get themselves cleaned up and to the main lodge for food. "Master Chief!" I call out, running to stop him. I lightly grab his arm to turn him to me. "What is it, soldier Talon?" He asks, his eyes soften at the slightest look at me. I take a glance at Duncan.

"I know that you're very angry right now, sir, and I know that I can't stop you from punishing Duncan. I have a very good idea of what you are capable of when it comes to fighting and warfare. But please don't hurt Duncan. Take him to the boathouse, but please don't hurt him." I beg. I step away, staring up at him. He's silent, but nods before dragging Duncan off again. I bring my clasped hands to my mouth in anxiousness and fear. Duncan looks back at me, my eyes wide, before he's pulled away from sight.