Not Quite Famous

I'm 9 years old again. The tears are falling from my eyes, again. My mother's hand on my shoulder, I take another step closer to the closed casket. I place the rose on top, but it slides off and falls to the ground. Darkness spreads out from where it fell like ash, growing until it covers the entire room. Then, everyone slowly fades away, until there's nothing left but me and the closed casket.

Duncan's POV:

I wake up to the sound of a girl's scream. It startles me so bad that I hit my head sitting up. I jump down to the ground, running out and over to the girl's side of the cabin with the guys following. Most of the girls are all still in bed, except for Bridgette and Courtney, who are both standing next to Lizzie's bed. I hear another scream. Lizzie's scream. I rush over.

"What's happening? What's wrong?" I ask. They turn around. "She's having a nightmare." Courtney answers. "We can't wake her up." Bridgette adds. I step in between the two girls to get a better look, ignoring the other guys standing in the doorway, but I end up getting punched in the jaw. I fall to the ground, staring up at the bed in a daze. Wow, Ren's got one hell of a punch.

Suddenly, she bolts up and out of bed. However, she ends up landing on me. Gasping, shaking, she wraps her arms around my waist, her nose buried in the crook of my neck. She's terrified.

Lizzie's POV:

I slowly come back to my senses, my trembling ceasing to a halt, but I keep my eyes closed. I feel something soft and warm underneath me, something that's not the floor. I get the sense of safety and comfort, unlike my nightmare seconds ago. I run my fingers across it gently. It feels like skin, and I feel a heart pounding beneath my fingertips. And that smell... I know that cologne.

My eyes open and I look up to see Duncan's breathtaking blue eyes. I instantly see our situation, the girls all smirking. The guys wolf-whistling. "Sorry." I get off him, standing up. I don't look at anyone as I get back up on my bed, going through my bag. I'm still shaking.

"Ren? You okay?" Bridgette asks. "I'll be fine, Bridgette. Thanks." I say. I don't allow any emotion in my voice. The only ones they'd hear is my fear and pain. "Do you want to talk about it?" She asks. I shake my head. "No, I don't. It doesn't help. But thanks for trying. It's better than what my parents usually do these days." I tell her, hopping off my bed and passed everyone. I go down to the communal bathrooms and take a shower in the cleanest stall.

I decide to start singing a song while I'm in here. Singing has always made me feel better after a nightmare.

When I finally finish and come out, the loudspeaker goes off. "All right, campers, enough beauty sleep. Time to show us what you're made of." Chris calls out to us. I sigh.

{"Okay, so. I have a theory about why I didn't have a nightmare when I fell asleep in Duncan's arms. I'm still working on it, but I'll let you know what it is when I have more on it."}

"Are we gonna see a musical?" Lindsay asks as everyone sits at the stands. "I love musicals. Especially the ones with singing and dancing." I roll my eyes as I move up the steps to sit next to Duncan. He looks over to me.

"Hey, you doing okay?" He asks. I nod. I look over at him, only to do a double take. I take his chin and inspect it carefully. He's got a bruise there. "Where'd you get this?" I ask, staring at it. "Uh, you. This morning." He says, pulling away and rubbing the back of his head. "You're pretty strong, you know. That was on hell of a punch."

I flush. "I'm so sorry, Duncan. I didn't mean to. Really. Please forgive me." I say. "Hey, hey. It's alright, Kitten. It was an accident." He tells me, wrapping an arm around my waist to pull me closer. I flush again, but Chris interrupts before I can protest.