Tepees, Losing, and Messing with Courtney

Everyone thought it'd be a good idea to try and get some sleep, since it was so dark out. So now we're all laying down in the tent, everyone on our backs. I'm lying close to Duncan's side, managing to keep warm. It's dead silent. "What's wrong? Have to pee?" I hear DJ asking. "Like crazy, but I'm too scared to leave the tent." Bridgette answers. "Yeah, me too." He replies. "Don't worry, Bridgette. There's nothing out there." I say, smiling over at her. She sighs, nodding before getting up to leave.

I hear something outside the tent and sit up. I see a shadow dancing across the tent. Everyone else sees it and gasps. DJ shrieks. Then suddenly, the tent burst into flames, and burnt to ashes in seconds. Everyone looks over to where Bridgette is sitting on the ground. I sigh, getting up. I walk past the tree line. I think I remember seeing a bunch of big, broken branches around here. I quickly find a few and start dragging them back.

"Great. That's just great, Bridgette." I hear Courtney scolding her as I walk back into the clearing. "Now we have nowhere to sleep!" She yells. I drop the branches and walk over, patting Bridge's back. Duncan stands up, defending her. "Yo, Drama Queen, relax. It's cool."

"Cool? It's cool?" Courtney starts up again. "Things could not possibly get worse!" She yells at him. Then it starts raining. She screams in frustration. I sigh.

"Thank you very much, Courtney. You've just made my job more difficult." I tell her before walking back to get more branches. "Yo, Kitten, wait up!" Duncan calls, catching up to me with Bridgette and DJ trailing behind him. "So, what are you doing?" Bridge asks. "Do you want to help me? I need a bunch of big branches brought back to the camp site." I tell her, picking up two. They all grab some and start bringing them back with us. We set them all in a pile.

"What the heck are you all doing?" Courtney asks, all the others huddling under a leaf. "You're going to get sick!" I roll my eyes at her. "A little rain never hurt anybody." I tell her. I look over to to Bridgette and DJ. "Think you guys can go get a few more?" I ask them. "I'm gonna need Duncan's help with setting them up just right." They both nod and walk back through the tree line. I start instructing Duncan on what I need him to do. He holds them up until we get them sturdy enough that they won't fall over.

I then tell Bridge and DJ to start looking for branches with lots of needles or leaves. Slowly, the branches starts to become a tepee. I look inside it and there's not that much water dripping into it. It's a lot better then sitting out here all night. I wave everyone over. They all come inside and sit down. "Well, it's not perfect." I say. "But it's better than sitting in the rain all night." Bridgette adds.

"Thank you for helping me with the branches you guys." I tell them, giving Duncan a kiss on the cheek. He looks at me surprised. I look away, blushing. "Hey, where'd you even get this idea, Lizzie?" Geoff asks. I smile. "I used to go camping every summer when I was a kid. I always liked to sleep in these instead of tents because it felt more adventurous. I used to always get help from my sister, Anna-" I stop, my smile gone. I look down. "I'm gonna go to sleep, guys. I'm pretty tired. Good night." I tell them, laying down with my back facing them. I can tell I got some weird looks from them. I felt their gazes on my back.

***

For the first time since almost two weeks ago, I didn't wake up screaming. If anything, I felt... Relaxed. At peace. I felt safe. Warmth flooded through me, coming from something soft, something I was laying on. I nuzzle my head against it, humming, before hearing something. Is that a heartbeat? I open my eyes and look up, seeing Duncan's face right in front of mine.

"Morning, Kitten." He greets, smirking. I smile back at him, before something pops into my mind. I push myself off of him, frantic. I lean in, my hands cupping his face as I examine it. I gently pull him to look left, right, up and down. I sigh in relief. He sits up, pulling my hands down to hold his. "What's wrong, Kitten?" He asks. "I just wanted to make sure you didn't have any more bruises because of me." I tell him.