The Sucky Outdoors

"Campers, today's challenge will test your outdoor-survival skills. I'm not gonna lie to you, some of you may not come back alive." Chris tells us of our next challenge. I roll my eyes at him. The others gasp. "Just joking." Chris laughs. "All you have to do is spend one night in the woods. Everything you need is at your team's campsite in the forest. You just have to find it." He tosses a map and compass to both teams. I catch the ones for our team, moving them out of the way of Courtney as she tries to swipe them from my hands.

"Oh... And watch out for bears," Chris warns. "Lost a couple of interns in preproduction. First team back for breakfast wins invincibility." He blows a blow horn, and walks off. "Elizabeth, give me the map." Courtney says, holding her hand out. I roll my eyes at her.

"You may be a CIT, but I know how to read maps. I can get us there within an hour." I state, studying the map. I start walking into the woods, not looking up from the map. I can hear them all walking behind me. Bridgette comes up and walks beside me. "So, any updates?" She asks.

{"For the last two days, Duncan and I have, sort of, been avoiding each other. I've been spending that time with Bridgette, just hanging out. We've just, I don't know. We've just drifted away from each other, and I really miss him. But it just hurts too much just being his friend." I rub my arm, staring at my lap. "And it seems that my nightmares have worsened as well. It's been over a week, and I'm still getting them. The whole team seems to be getting tired of constantly waking up to me screaming."}

Bridgette's POV:

Duncan and Lizzie have been avoiding each other since the talent show, and it's just unnatural for them. I know Lizzie's reason, but I can't figure out Duncan's. So I've decided to ask DJ. They seem pretty good friends, so maybe he knows. I leave Ren's side to talk to DJ.

"Hey DJ, can I ask you something?" I question. He nods, turning to look at me as we continue to walk. "Do you know why Duncan's been so distant with Lizzie?" I ask. He looks forwards again. "It's because she likes someone." He says. "So?" I ask. "Duncan really likes her." He explains. "He says he's pretty sure that she doesn't like him, but someone else here at camp." I stop for a minute, before catching back up.

"Well, what do you know." I state, putting my hands in my pockets. "What?" He asks. "I've got the same situation with Ren." I say, "She really likes Duncan, but she's convinced that he doesn't like her. That's why she ran after Heather read her diary entry, besides the embarrassment from it. It really hurt her when he called her just a friend that night."

"He told me he said that because he thinks it's someone else, and he doesn't stand a chance." He replies. We both stop and look at each other. "We've gotta help those two. They're both hurting because of a simple misunderstanding." I tell him. He nods. "I'll take Duncan, you take Ren. They'll likely believe us more if it's coming from their best friends." I say. He nods and fist pounds me before he goes up front to talk with Lizzie, and I wait for Duncan at the back.

I immediately start walking next to him, which catches his attention. "What are you doing, Bridgette? Shouldn't you be walking with Lizzie or Geoff?" He asks. I don't answer for a minute. I just continue to walk with him.

"She likes you, too, you know." I say. "Huh?" He asks. "Lizzie. She likes you, too." I give him a look as he opens his mouth, one that tells him to shut his mouth. "Listen, you really need to talk to her. That guy mentioned in her diary? She was talking about you. She simply managed to stop Heather from reading your name out loud. That's why she didn't tell you that night who she likes."

"No. It can't be me. I don't stand a chance." "Think about it, Duncan. No one's sweeter to her than you are, here at camp. She's told me herself that she likes you." I turn and look at him. "You need to talk to her, soon. You really hurt her when you friend-zoned her." With that, I continue to walk, catching up to Geoff.