Up The Creek

When I woke up this morning, I was at peace. No nightmares at all. I looked around me to find myself in the boy's side of the cabin. I'm confused. What am I doing here? I wonder before remembering what happened last night. I look behind me and see Duncan's sleeping face. He looks so relaxed. I smile at him. He's just so cute.

I gently pull out of his grasp and kiss his cheek before jumping off his bed and going to the girl's side. I change into my workout outfit again. Since I'm actually up early today, and everyone else is still asleep, I decide to run three laps around the lake, music blaring away into my ears.

By the time I'm done, Chris is standing in between the cabins again. He has an air horn. He seems surprised at seeing me. He shrugs, blowing the air horn. I hear a few loud groans come from both cabins as I take my ear buds out. "Rise and shine, everybody!" Chris says through a megaphone. "I want everyone up and at the main lodge in 10."

I walk into the cabin and the girls all seem pretty shocked at the sight of me. I shrug, grabbing my clothes and heading off to the bathroom. I quickly get changed and walk back out. "Hey, has anyone seen Ren?" I hear as I walk up to the steps. "She left just minutes ago, sorry." Bridgette's voice answers. "Thanks."

I bump into Duncan as he leaves the girls' side of the cabin. I smile, wrapping my arms around his waist. He does the same, leaning down to give me a kiss. "Where'd you go this morning, Kitten?" He asks. "Woke up early. Didn't want to wake up anyone, so I figured I'd go for a run."

"You could've woke me up, I wouldn't have minded." He says. I shrug. "But you were so cute. I didn't want to." I say. I peck his lips before walking into the cabin. Bridgette smirks at me. "So, where were you last night, Lizzie? You never came back after setting your stuff on your bed." I blush, looking down. "I, um..." She laughs jokingly. "I'm only kidding, Lizzie." "But I'm sure we're all curious, since we didn't wake up to you screaming again. Where'd you go off to?" Courtney asks. I simply don't answer, walking out to the main lodge for breakfast.

{"Of course I didn't tell them where I 'went off to'. They'd never let me live it down." I blush. "But it did stop my nightmares. So I guess that's a bonus."}

"Bass, Gophers, today's challenge is a true summer-camp experience, a canoe trip. You'll be paddling your canoes across the lake... to Boney Island." Chris finished in a spooky voice. I roll my eyes. "When you get there, you must portage your canoes to the other side of the island, which is about a two-hour hike through treacherous, dangerous jungle."

"We've got to pour what?" Geoff asks. I pat Bridge on her shoulder as she face-palms. "Portage." I state, "We carry our canoes across the island." I explain it to him. "Oh." Duncan chuckles and wraps his arm around my waist. Chris continues, "When you arrive at the other end of the island, you'll build a rescue fire that will be judged by me. The first team to paddle home and return their canoes to the beach is the winner of invincibility. Move, campers, move!"

Everyone goes running to the canoes, Duncan pulling me along with him, but Chris stops us all with a last warning. "Oh, wait. One more thing I should mention. Legend has it, if you take anything off the island, you'll be cursed forever." Again, with the spooky voice. Thunder strikes across the sky. But there's barely any clouds. Owen's the only one who seems to be excited about that.

"Now get in your canoes, and let's have some fun." We get down to the beach, and before Duncan and I can get in a boat, Bridgette grabs my arm and pulls me over with her. "Lizzie, come be my partner, I need to talk to you about something." She says. I nod, understanding. I look back at Duncan apologetic. He's disappointed, but he nods. We start getting our life jackets on when Geoff and DJ walk by. Bridge looks away. I look at her confused. "I'm guessing this is because of what you need to tell me." She nods.