Chapter 42

[JENNY]

I closed the door behind me with a deep sigh of failure. Harris, on the other hand, jumped over the sofa's headboard and flopped himself down on the sofa, his feet stretched on top of its armrest.

"Where's Noah?" Aunt Clare questioned with genuine concern in her voice.

I sighed again, rubbing my temples, before replying with a question, "You mean he isn't back yet?"

Well that confirms it.

Aunt Clare shook her head. "It's really really late. Why hasn't he come home yet?"

On cue, Mrs. Emily appeared from the top end of the stairs. She was rubbing the sleep off her eyes.

"Who hasn't come home yet?" She asked as she made her way down the steps.

I winced as my eyes trailed her down the stairs, restraining myself from showing any signs of dismay on my face. Deep inside, I was baffled and somehow displeased with how irresponsible Mrs. Emily actually is. Noah's out to god knows where yet here she was unaware of the situation.

"Noah," Aunt Clare answered and that was all it took for Mrs. Emily to become fully awake.

"What?!" She yelped, raising her hand over her gaped mouth.

She was standing at the bottom of the stairs, near to where I was standing. Given by the distance, I could already smell the wine bathing her scent.

I forced myself not to frown, and I'm telling you it was really hard. Mrs. Emily's actions the past few weeks have been displeasing. I wasn't blind not to notice how much she's been drinking. Well, I knew she was a bit of a drunkard, but she wasn't this kind of a drunk the first few days she was living here.

People say alcohol can help take the mind off the problems, but she was Noah's mom for crying out loud. Where was the worried mother I saw on the day Noah stabbed himself? Why was she replaced with an unthoughtful drunkard woman?

"Why did you let him out in the first place?!" She motioned to the door. "You know he's unstable!" She opened the door but before she could exit, I quickly grabbed her forearm.

"Mrs. Emily, I don't think you've gone sober enough to be getting outside and do the looking yourself. Noah's not a child anymore. I'm sure he can make his way home," I tried stifling a laugh, but I knew quite well I failed to hide the distress on my face. I couldn't believe me either.

"But his meds," Aunt Clare chimed in, leading to another wail from Noah's mom.

"Are you saying he hasn't take hi-- oh god! I need a another drink," Mrs. Emily walked passed me and made her way to the kitchen.

Is she for real?!

I glanced at Aunt Clare with a dumbfounded look, to which she only responded with an unsure nod.

"I'll take care of her. You worry about your friend over there," my Aunt pointed her head towards the sofa wherein Harris had already fallen asleep. And he seemed to be comfortable too.

As Aunt Clare caught up to Mrs. Emily in the kitchen, I was left with a snoring Harris.

I sat on the couch adjacent to the sofa,  contemplating on some thoughts I never knew would pop up right now.

As much as how worried I am that Noah's out there all by himself because of me (probably), Harris and I never actually got a chance to talk about what happened between us earlier in school.

I was taken aback upon suddenly picturing the two of us kissing. I can't believe that after all this ruckus with Noah right now, my mind was able to insert this specific dilemma.