Chapter 17 What Point of No do you Not Understand?

Unedited. Sorry. Awesome banner to the side by Starbucksrulez

Chapter 17: What point of no do you not understand?

Slowly, Julian and I made our way back to where the rest of the people were. None of them had their cell phones. Oh so intelligent. They had been told to leave their electronics away from the pool- in the changing rooms, which were outside. I honestly felt a little sorry for them.

"Who has a cell phone?" my older brother, Jimmy, yelled.

Julian checked his pockets but nothing. Rolling my eyes, I went next to my brother and handed him my phone.

"Let me see that," Lucas said as he reached for it.

I blocked the way.

"My cell phone, Crowell," I said in a strict tone.

"I need to call my parents!" he snapped.

"So does everyone else," I snapped back.

I didn't really expect him to be so demanding and angry. But I suppose getting stuck in someone's house under a lockdown wasn't his thing. Not that it was anyone else's thing either.

"But my parents can get us out of here!" he argued.

"Really? They're gonna come here and get you out?" I challenged.

He pursed his lips and gave me an annoyed look. "No, but they can call the cops and other authorities."

"So can my parents," I said calmly, "Now, shut up and go bother someone else. I don't have time, energy, or battery to waste on you."

He frowned and stormed off. All his playfulness had disappeared. He was like a different person, now.

I looked at Jimmy who had turned away, talking to someone on the cell phone. He came back after a couple of minutes. Everyone had a desperate look on their face. They looked at Jimmy expectantly. As the oldest one in the room, Jimmy was in charge.

"I just talked to Dad. He said stay put. They called the cops who should be here immediately. Just stay calm," he said taking the role of a leader.

"How long are we going to be here?" Lucas asked, ten feet away. He stood with his arms crossed.

Jimmy hesitated before replying, "Maybe a couple of hours."

Lucas didn't say anything. He pursed his lips and sat down on a chair.

I looked at my cell phone in Jimmy's hand. "Turn it off," I said pointing with my head. He nodded and followed through my direction.

"Boys and girls," I shouted, "Just enjoy the party. Things will settle down soon." False hope was always helpful. As a hard core pessimist, I expected the worst: all of us getting in loads of trouble.

Most of them reluctantly returned to their spots and started whispering.

"Cassie," I heard Julian say behind me. I turned to face him.

"Yeah?"

"What's going on?" he asked confused.

Jimmy answered for me. "Dad said there are 'unwanted people' in the house," he said and then lowered his voice, "and they have guns. We have to stay away from doors and windows."

"Good thing there are no windows here," I said flatly.

My input was ignored. "So, we are all in danger?" Julian asked.

Jimmy and I both were quiet. I shrugged as a response. We were all here together. If the "unwanted people" had guns, it was obviously implied that we were in danger.