Chapter 39 You Don't Need Julian Any More

Chapter 39: You don't need Julian Any More

"Will you be my girlfriend?"

"Give me one good reason why, Crowell."

"Sheesh, Sandy, I have given you a whole list of reasons already!" Lucas complained and proceeded to eat his lunch. He had decided to join our lunch table, today. Lucas Crowell was sticking around me too much after that field trip. Piper sat with an amused look, watching Lucas irritate me.

"You're 'attractive, smart, changed, athletic' and--never mind, all that doesn't count," I told him, omitting the last reason.

"And what?" Piper asked.

"Go on, tell her," Lucas nudged me. When I made no effort, he smirked and told Piper: "I'm a good kisser."

Piper giggled. I gave her a glare, and she shut up. "Wait till all the girls hear about you two, especially the fan club," Piper said excitedly.

I exchanged a look with Lucas before turning to Piper. "Guess what I've been hearing all day. 'Back off my man,' 'is it true there is something going between you and Lucas?' 'Lucas would never date you,' and the last one was 'I'm dating, Lucas, so don't get your hopes up, Sandy,'" I told Piper.

"Gossip," muttered Lucas, munching on his pizza slice. He hadn't even known the girls who told me they were dating him.

"But what is your status?" Piper asked curiously.

"I don't know," Lucas shrugged and then nodding in my direction, he added, "Ask her."

"I said I would give you a chance to prove why I shouldn't hate you," I replied. "Meaning that right now, you are not even on my friends list."

"Ouch," Piper said.

"She's mean," Lucas told her. "I am being nice. I gelled my hair all cool. I am trying. Sandy is still so cold." She laughed and I rolled my eyes just as we got two new...well old but new people join us. Megan and Julian sat down across from Lucas and I with Piper.

"Finally, some sane people," I said, feeling relieved by more company. Had to balance out Lucas.

"My lunch got changed to this one. I'm glad to find some sane people, too," Megan told, though she slightly shook her head at Lucas.

"I am simply here because I couldn't stand any more gossip at Lucas's table," Julian said, looking down on his lunch. For some reason, he hadn't really talked to me since...since he told me to tell Lucas the truth.

"Gossip! That reminds me--" Megan began looking between Lucas and I.

"If you are bringing up anything about him," I interjected, pointing to Lucas and then myself, "and me, don't."

"Oh." Megan said nothing else.

Lucas and I spent the rest of the lunch arguing about ridiculous things. The group across from us mostly ignored us until Piper called us to attention.

"I forgot to ask! Do you guys want to do the five k run on Thursday," she asked.

"I'll do it like I do every year," I told her.

"What's it for?" Megan asked, looking at Piper.

"Raising money for some charity I can't remember. Five k is five kilometers, so like three some miles," shrugged Piper.

"I'll do it," Megan said.

"Ditto," Julian muttered quietly. He didn't look up or contribute anything else. What was wrong with him?

"I'll do it," Lucas piped up. "Just because she's doing it," he nudged me. The spoon in my hand from the pudding I was eating fell. Lucas backed away immediately. "Sorry."