Twist In Shakespeare

Chapter 2: Twist In Shakespeare

"What?"

"Do you know where I can find the main office?" he asked. It was his first day without a doubt.

I sighed and answered, "Just follow me. I'm heading there."

Smiling gratefully, he fell in step with me. Apparently, people don't understand the concept of "follow me." It clearly means I walk in front while you follow behind because I want to avoid any more contact with you.

"I'm Julian," he said, poking out his hand as we strolled down the hallway.

I didn't shake his hand. His face fell a little as he pulled his hand back. "Hello." I wasn't the one to easily give out my name to everyone. I had trust issues. Especially, since he was a Crowell.

"And you are?" he asked expectantly.

"Not wanting to be bothered."

He grinned. "Well, could you help me out and at least give me your name?"

"No," I said stubbornly.

"Why not?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I don't trust strangers," I responded.

"Ah. We aren't really strangers. We met this morning, remember?"

"One of the reasons why I don't trust you. My poor tank top is stained for life," I said sadly. It was a really great tank top, honestly. It had lasted for three years. The longest and only clothing I had that old. Although I could go out and buy myself a new one, I didn't want to. When you're rich, people expect you to not care about what you buy, how much you buy, or why you buy. Unlike Cate, Jimmy and I have seen the times when we didn't have a mansion, ten cars, industries, and . . . money. I'd rather not waste someone else's money on me.

"Sorry about that," he said guiltily. "It wasn't intentional. I did offer to help you clean up."

"Sure. Whatever. Here we are," I said, waving away his apology. We entered the main office and met the short redheaded secretary. She waited for one of us to talk.

"Hi, I'm the foreign-exchange student, Julian Aylmer," the British boy spoke before I could have.

Aylmer? I was pretty sure he was a Crowell.

The secretary, Ms. Polli, nodded. "I have your schedule right here," she said with a small smile and handed him the paper.

Then she turned to me. "Late pass again?" she asked.

I nodded sheepishly.

"Tell you what, you show Julian around, and I'll let this slide," she offered.

I thought about it. I couldn't afford tardiness. Knowing my sister, she'd make us late more times this year.

"Fine," I mumbled. Julian grinned.

Ms. Polli smiled knowingly. Of course, she knew what my answer was going to be. "Brilliant, then. I recommend you head to first period, immediately. Some of these teachers are . . . well, not very happy when students are late," the secretary sighed, and she headed back to her computer.

"Off to Literature," Julian said and shoved his schedule in front of my eyes.

Rolling my eyes, I grabbed it and scanned his classes. My school had block scheduling. We had four classes on one day and four on the other. The third period was extended thirty minutes for lunch. Apparently, Julian and I had three classes together on A days and two classes on B days. Today happened to be a B day. The day couldn't get any better.