Chapter 22

I stood at the top of the stairs as my English teacher came in.  Issac stood beside me as I watched her approach Derek.

"Derek!"  She ran right into his arms, making me want to growl.  "Oh, God...  Thank goodness you're here.  Some people are after me, saying some terrible things."  Scott and Stiles walked in, causing her to freeze.  "They already told you, didn't they?"  I couldn't stand the sob scene anymore, so I ran down the stairs.

"Oh, try and at least sound convincing.  I can smell that lie clear upstairs."  She turned and smiled at me.

"You honestly think I attacked you?"  I smirked.

"I have proof!"  I pulled out my phone from my jacket pocket and played the audio.

"What do you want from me?  I want you to help me destroy that Alpha pack."  She turned to face Derek.

"I would never..."  He roared and caught her by her throat.

"What the hell are you?"  Scott held up a vial of a light brown powder.

"Let's find out..."  With that, he covered her in it, revealing the black figure I had seen in the fire back at the motel.  Suddenly, it was gone, and she stood there.  I shook my head.

"A Darach..."  She sneered at me.

"I should have killed you, but I knew it wouldn't be easy.  An Oracle wolf has the blessing of the Moon Goddess.  You should have died when I left you there."  Derek roared as he tightened his grip around her neck.

"Don't speak about my cousin like that!"  Issac took my hand as I faced the two of them.  Jennifer looked over at me and smiled.

"Call him off, and I will tell you what I know..."  I frowned as she continued.  "I can stop them, without hurting anyone."  I shook my head.

"No, you will kill them."  She rolled her eyes.

"Why does it matter?  Look around you!  You have your family, your mate, and your friends.  What is Deucalion and the rest of them to you?"  I narrowed my eyes.

"Part of my family.  Once you're part of a pack, you become family."  She turned to Derek.

"You see that?  They've poisoned her way of thinking.  She'll never see you as her family."  Derek's grip loosened slightly.  "If I live to the lunar eclipse, I can rid you of that problem."  I knew she meant to kill them and shook my head.

"No, Derek!  She still has to kill 3 people, and there's no telling who that will be.  She has Stiles's dad."  He shook his head and growled at her.  She smiled down at him.

"I'm doing this for you and your family..."  I scoffed.

"Then, explain why you tried to kill me twice!"  She shook her head.

"Killing you would be too much work.  Sides, you're more useful alive.  I was hoping that they would find you that night and walk right up into a trap I had set.  Instead, they never showed, so I had to leave you for dead.  The second time was just a distraction so I could get to the banshee."  I frowned and thought for a second.

"Lydia...?  She's a banshee?"  Jennifer nodded.

"And, with her sacrifice, she would have made me a lot more powerful, but I was foiled by a certain someone named Sheriff Stilinski..."  Stiles narrowed his eyes at her.

"What did you do to my dad?"  She smiled at him.

"Oh, he's still alive.  As Kayla pointed out, I only need 3 more...  Besides, Derek, if you kill me, you'll never be able to save your sister."  He nearly dropped her.

"Kora?"  I closed my eyes and focused on what I knew about Kora until I touched her mind.  She was out cold, poisoned by...

"Mistletoe..."  She smiled over at me.

"Good job, Kayla.  Now, where is she?"  I thought for a second.

"The hospital."  She nodded.

"And, what can be done to help her?"  I closed my eyes and cringed.

"Derek can take her pain and lose his status as an Alpha..."  She laughed.

"No, you're forgetting one factor: me.  I can cure her and spare Derek that grief."  I opened my eyes and bit my tongue.  Oh, I knew what her fate would be, but I found it best to play along before someone else got hurt.  "Take me to the hospital, and I'll prove it."  I shook my head.

"Bad idea...  They'll be there."  She smirked.

"That's why all of you are coming.  They can protect me while you simply distract them."  I narrowed my eyes at her.

"Only a few of us will make it out if we do that."  She smirked, telling me it was exactly what she wanted.  I turned to Derek.  "Derek..."  He hung his head and dropped her.

"She's right, Kayla.  I need to do this, or I won't stand a chance against Kali."  I looked around but saw I was alone on this one.

"I'm not going then!"  Jennifer stood up and looked over at me.

"Then I won't save Kora..."  Derek shot me a hopeless look, making me cringe.

"Fine..."

The lights were going out.  I raced beside Issac down the hallway, trying to locate Kora.  When we arrived, Melissa and Dad were standing there, talking.  Dad turned to look at me.

"Kayla...  I thought you were at home."  I glanced down at Kora.

"I'll explain later.  Right now, Derek's coming to help Kora."  Melissa shook her head.

"The hospital is being evacuated.  Everyone has to leave.  An ambulance will be here to take her in 20 minutes."  Scott came running in.

"We don't have 20 minutes..."  I knew immediately that Deucalion, Kali, Aiden, and Ethan were here.  I pulled my hand from Issac's.

"Yes we do...  If I don't return in the next 20 minutes, don't worry.  I'll find a way to catch up."  Issac caught my arm.

"Where are you going?"  I hung my head.

"I have to buy us some time.  I have to go down and confront them."  Before another word could be said, I turned around and tore down the hallway.  Dad's roar of anger, followed by Issac's shouts haunted me as I took off.  Soon enough, I was in the elevator, heading down a few floors.  As soon as the door opened, I found myself face to face with Kali.