Chapter 18

*Stiles's Pov-

For the longest time, no one moved, not even Peter.  His tale seemed to haunt each one of us, including myself.  Kayla gripped the Oracle stone in her palm, looking really distant.  Finally, she spoke.

"That's why Mr. Argent helped hide me...  It was his family in the story."  Chris Argent nodded.

"The boy in the story was the last remaining Argent of his time.  Shortly after the curse, he was married and restarted his family."  She looked up at him as he spoke.  "We Argents created the code because we knew the werewolves had been weakened a great deal.  Sides, not every wolf is that bad."  He glared pointedly at Peter, who threw up his hands in surrender.

"In my defence, your sister did try to completely destroy my family."  He watched Kayla, who toyed with the Oracle stone.  "So, count it as an eye for an eye thing."  She shook her head.

"It doesn't matter.  You pissed off Gerard, who nearly killed Derek and his attempted pack."  Chris nodded.

"She may not have been here, but she can tell what has happened and what will happen."  She looked up, her eyes glowing an emerald green.

"I still don't know what I'll do.  If I try to run away, I'll be caught by either the murderer or Deucalion's pack.  If I stay, I endanger Beacon Hills and risk being taken again."  She shook her head as the glow died, and tears welled up in her eyes.  "There's nothing I can do, is there?"  Peter shook his head.

"No...  But, there is something the rest of us can do."  She tilted her head at him.

"But, Deucalion doesn't know who it is, and neither do you!  How can we prevent all this bloodshed if we can't tell who is responsible for all this?"  Peter smiled.

"You could tell us..."  She started to protest, but Chris spoke up first.

"She doesn't know anything about her powers.  She couldn't possibly!"  Peter smirked and shook his head.

"Thalia taught me a few things before the fire that might be of some use.  I guess she saw she wouldn't be here to train Kayla herself."  He looked over at Kayla, who shivered.  "I can teach you."  Chris looked ready to murder Peter.

"I don't trust you..."  Peter chuckled.

"Get in line...  She's my daughter.  You really think I would do anything that would hurt her?"  Chris looked back at Kayla, who looked up and nodded.

"Let him, Mr. Argent.  He's my dad and my last hope."  Peter smiled over at her.

"That's my girl."

*Kayla's Pov-

I looked around, realizing I was at school.  A scream sounded through the hall...  People moved all around...  Someone was lying dead on the ground...  Deucalion smirked at me from down the hall...

"Kayla!"  I shot up and saw Dad sitting on the bed beside me.  "Kayla, what's wrong?"  I shook my head.

"It was nothing...  Just a nightmare."  He pulled me into a hug, trying to comfort me.

"Tell me what happened."  I nodded.

"I was at school, at a concert of some sort.  Suddenly, someone screamed as someone else just dropped dead.  And, as everyone scattered and ran, I saw Deucalion coming for me."  I felt a tear slip down my face.  "Everything seemed so real..."  That's what really scared me about all this.  Each dream was so graphic, it seemed to really happen.  Dad kissed my forehead and leaned back.

"It's okay...  It was just a dream..."  I shook my head.

"No, it wasn't.  This has happened before, and the dream nearly came true.  Luckily, I got there in time to stop it."  He rested my head on his chest.

"It's okay, Kayla..."  He paused for a while before he spoke again.  "I thought you went home!"  I looked over and saw Chris Argent sitting in a nearby chair.  He stood and stretched.

"Well, you were God knew where, so I thought I'd keep an eye on her."  Dad half growled, half sighed as he got up.  Kissing my forehead again, he smiled down at me.

"Go back to sleep, Kayla."  I nodded and closed my eyes.

I was walking through the halls, following Lydia.  The sound of drums reminded me of before I had been taken.  I picked up the pace, trying to catch up with her.

"Lydia, stop!"  She turned a corner and went into a classroom.  "Lydia!"  I went into the classroom.  It was quiet.  Lydia stood there in the very center of the room, looking around.  "Lydia?"  She turned and looked at me.

"She's here..."  I turned and saw the figure that had followed and taken me.  "It's you!"  The woman laughed.

"Yes, Lydia.  It's me..."  She started towards me.  Lydia shook her head.

"Don't...  Please don't!"  She froze for a moment.  "I'll scream..."  The woman took one more step, and Lydia screamed, shaking the whole building.  The whole scene shifted to my previous nightmare.  Someone on stage dropped dead, making others scream and run.  Caught in the middle, I felt Lydia's scream tearing through me as Deucalion started towards me from one side as Derek started over from the other side.  Soon enough, Lydia's scream became mine as I doubled over...

"Kayla!"  A bright light was shined in my face, but I was being held down.  I fought to free myself, screaming as tears slipped down my face.  Finally, I got my eyes to open so I could take in the scene around me.  Dad, Derek, and Chris Argent stood over me, trying to hold me down so I didn't hurt anyone.  Looking closer, I saw my claws had unsheathed.  I pulled free and curled up into a little ball, crying.

"Oh, God...  Did I hurt anyone?"  Dad sat down beside me.

"No, Kayla.  We're all okay..."  He brushed my bangs out of my face as I calmed down.  I shook my head at the memory of the nightmare.  It's just a dream...  It's just a dream...  Derek sat on the other side.

"What happened, Kayla?"  I breathed heavily, trying to catch my breath.

"I know who it is, and I know who's next and when it'll happen..."