Chapter 8

*Derek's Pov-

"We're on our way."  I nodded and looked over at Peter, who was looking out the window.

"We'll be here, waiting."  Scott dropped his voice down a little.

"She's kinda nervous though.  She has no idea what they've done or anything.  She also thinks this is a trap."  I scoffed.  Kayla was always pretty cautious, even when she was little.

"Just get her here.  We'll take care of the rest."

*Kayla's Pov-

I followed Scott, Stiles, and Issac into an old apartment building downtown, not too far away from where the pack had moved in.  We stopped on the 10th floor and started down the hallway.  Scott stopped outside room 318.  He turned and looked at me.

"You ready?"  I nodded and gulped.  He opened the door and called out.  "Derek?"  I noticed a figure move by the stairs and immediately unsheathed my claws, fearing an attack.  The person stood and froze.

"Kayla?"  I frowned and narrowed my eyes.  That voice sounded vaguely familiar...  The person stepped into the center of the room.  "It's me...  Derek."  I looked the person up and down.  Yes, it was Derek.  The only change in his features was the facial hair.  Time seemed to slow down to a crawl.

"Derek...?"  He nodded, blinking hard.  I stood there temporarily frozen.  Could this be true?  I approached him carefully and circled him.  No, he was real.  I burst into tears and stepped closer.  "It is you!"  He smiled and pulled me into a hug.

"We thought we lost you..."  I tucked my face into his shoulder.

"I thought I lost you!"  I heard the creak of stairs and looked up.  Dad stood at the top of the stairs, blinking hard like he did when Mom died, telling me that he was on the verge of tears.  I pulled free from Derek and stood at the bottom of the stairs.  Dad didn't seem any different from when he dropped me off at school that day.  "Daddy?"  He nodded and raced down the stairs.

"I knew you were alive, but..."  He sniffed as he pulled me into a hug.  "I didn't know where to start looking or anything..."  He looked down at me, his eyes red rimmed.  "How'd you survive all these years?"  I fought the tears as I tried to speak.

"I managed to lose the hunters after about a hour.  At first, I thought I was doomed because I thought you all were gone, but, then, Deucalion..."  He tensed a little.  "His pack found me.  At first, I thought they were going to kill me, but they asked me to join their pack instead.  They promised shelter, training, and protection.  I was so scared that I didn't see that I had any other choice but to accept."  He tucked his chin onto my head, making me duck my head.  "I thought you were gone..."  He kissed my forehead.

"It's okay...  It's okay...  I'm here."  I sobbed quietly into his shoulder.  Finally, after nearly 8 years, I'd found Dad and Derek, the remainder of my family.  I felt a vibration from my jacket pocket.  Dad released me enough for me to check it.  It was Scott's phone.  I pulled away and turned to Scott, who watched on with Issac and Stiles behind him.  I smiled as I approached him.

"Thank you..."  I handed him his phone.  "I...  I'm sorry I didn't believe you."  He smiled as he pocketed the phone.  I looked at the other two.  "Thank you so much..."

*Issac's Pov-

Kayla was finally calming down and starting to trust us.  Derek looked out the window.

"Shit..."  She turned and frowned.

"What is it?"  Derek glanced nervously around the room.

"They're here."  Her eyes widened.  She started to panic a little.

"They're coming for me... and Derek."  Derek frowned, but, before he could ask, she continued.  "They said that they wanted him to join their pack just so I had no reason to leave.  If they find me here..."  Tears threatened to spill again.  "I have to go back.  I can cover your tracks and say that I left and started wandering around after I woke up."  Peter shook his head.

"No.  I lost you once..."  She shook her head at him.

"They'll kill you guys if I don't."  He heaved a sigh and pulled her into a hug, making me very jealous.  Scott looked around.

"How're you going to get there without being seen?"  She turned and smirked, pulling away.

"I've been trained to defend myself without leaving a trace of blood as well as how to escape almost any situation.  What's sneaking out in comparison?"  Stiles nodded.

"Good point."  Kayla turned to Peter and Derek.

"I promise I will find a way to come back..."  They nodded as she opened the window to the balcony.  She smirked at me.  "See you guys at school."  With that, she was gone without a trace.

*Scott's Pov-

"Well...  The Hales do live."  Deucalion smirked as the twins stood by.  "Did you know that the girl is still alive?"  He shrugged.  "Any idea where she is?"  Derek shrugged.

"Out for a walk or at school?  I haven't seen her, but thanks for the notice."  The twins glared and sniffed around.  I tried not to smile as they realized that they couldn't find any trace of her.  We'd completely erased it from the building.  They shook their heads, making Deucalion frown.

"I see...  Well, maybe when we find her, we'll bring her for a visit."  He started to go but stopped at the door.  "Remember my offer, Derek."  Derek nodded and watched them go.  Turning to us, he heaved a sigh.

"I hope she's okay..."

*Kayla's Pov-

I unlocked the door and walked in.  Everything was quiet but not too quiet.  They must still be looking for me.  I walked into my room and looked around.  My school bag sat on my bed beside my phone.  I picked it up and turned it on.  I heard a door shut from outside my room.  I walked to the doorway, unsheathing my claws.  Suddenly, Ennis appeared, scaring the crap out of me.  He resheathed his claws as soon as he saw it was just me.