Chapter 1

"Have a good day, Kayla."  I hugged Dad and shouldered my bag.  "Love you!"  I smiled as I climbed out of the car, followed by Derek.

"Love you too!"  Derek rolled his eyes as he walked with me to the elementary school.

"I really don't like Uncle Peter..."  I shrugged.

"Yeah, he's scary sometimes, but he's my dad."  Derek laughed and shook his head.

"Anyways, see you after school.  Be sure to wait on me, alright?"  I nodded and waved as I ran off.

After school, Dad wasn't there to pick us up, so Derek started to walk me home.  I followed closely behind, listening to my MP3 player.  Suddenly, Derek stopped.  I stopped and looked around, knowing that I wouldn't gain the slightest of my wolf powers till I turned 13.  Derek, being 18 at the time, put a hand on my shoulder.

"Hunters..."  My heart started to race as he grabbed my backpack and continued to look around.  "Run!"  I raced after him, listening to the shouts behind me.  Before long, we reached a hiding place.  Derek shoved me down into the hiding spot and handed me my backpack.  "Stay here until I or Peter come to get you."  I nodded, trying to keep myself from crying.  He covered the hiding spot and took off.

I plugged in my headphones and played some quiet music, hoping to keep myself calm.  I pressed pause when I saw a shape outside and unplugged.  The hunters were dangerously close to where I was hiding.  I closed my eyes and held my breath, waiting for them to pass.  Finally, they did.

I dug through my bag and pulled out my stone necklace.  When I turned 8, Aunt Thalia had given it to me, telling me that it would help me be brave.  I closed my eyes and wished desparately for Derek or Dad.  They always promised to protect me.  I waited until nightfall and climbed out, listening to the woods around me.  Without thinking, I started down the familiar path home.

The sight I found was horrifying.  The house was on fire.  A single hunter stood by and watched it burn.  I screamed in rage and ran towards her.  The hunter turned and smirked.

"Oh, did I miss one?  Silly me..."  I glared at her and crouched down as she pulled out a bow.  "Please tell me...  Do you want me to make it painless or should I make this fun for myself?"  Somewhere inside, someone roared.

"Get out, Kayla!  Run away!"  I turned and looked for the source, only to find the hunter coming right at me.  I ducked as the arrow whizzed past my head and took off, running faster than ever.

I'd clearly lost the hunter, but, now, I was lost and alone in the middle of the forests.  My backpack was long gone, and all I had was the clothes on my back, the shoes on my feet, and the two necklaces, one was a silver dove, and the other was the stone from Aunt Thalia.  Finally, I stopped and dropped to my knees.  Tears streamed down my face as I started to cry.  Dad, gone!  Derek, gone!

Something snapped nearby.  I stood and looked around, my tears still dripping down my face.  Suddenly, a huge Alpha appeared, growling at me.  I whimpered and backed off as two others appeared, all circling around me.  I bowed my head and started to cry harder.  Suddenly, they all froze, watching behind me.

"Why are you crying, little girl?"  I turned and saw another Alpha, but he was in human form.  I sniffed and tried to speak.

"Please... don't.  Please?"  He smiled as his eyes glowed red.

"Don't what?"  I gulped.

"Please don't kill me."  He chuckled slightly and nodded at the others, who backed off and shifted to their human forms.  There were 5, counting the one who was talking to me.  I looked around, looking for a way out.  The Alpha tilted his head slightly at me.

"You're a Hale, aren't you?"  Memories clouded my thoughts as I nodded.  He nodded in return.  "We saw the fire and assumed all of you were dead.  How'd you escape?"  I kept a careful eye on him as he circled me, hoping he wouldn't kill me.

"My cousin hid me when we were being chased by hunters.  When I finally got home, I saw the fire and the hunter, and I heard the noise and..."  I started to cry again.

"Oh, I see..."  He stopped right in front of me.  "You wear the Oracle stone...?"  I nodded.

"Aunt Thalia gave it to me for my 8th birthday."  He nodded.

"How old are you?"

"8..."  He nodded as one of them started towards us.

"What should we do, Deucalion?"  My eyes widened as I realized this was an Alpha pack.  Aunt Thalia had warned me about them, saying that, if I ever crossed paths with them, I should never run but never trust them.  Deucalion looked me up and down.

"Patience, Ennis.  You all must have patience."  He thought for a second.  "Your aunt advised against our pack, saying that it was futile.  Either way, your family was our greatest ally."  I whimpered a little as he stepped closer.  "We checked the house.  No survivors or any sign of them.  Do you have family outside Beacon Hills?  Someone you can turn to?"  I shook my head, making him smile.  "How would you like to join our pack?  We'll protect you, train you, and care for you."  The woman growled.

"She's too young!"  Deucalion snapped.

"She's a Hale and the heir to the Oracle wolf!  Sides, it would be a shame to kill someone so young.  What good would it do for us?"  The male, Ennis, put a hand on her shoulder.

"He's right, Kali.  It would feel right killing a kid who hasn't even really turned yet.  We only kill when necessary, and you know it."  I gulped as the other two agreed, making the female, Kali, groan.

"Whatever...  Her choice."  Ennis smiled.

"You'll get to train her."  She smiled, baring her fangs.

"I guess that would be a highlight, but what about her schooling?"  Duecalion shrugged.

"When we return home, we'll give her a new name and..."

"My name is Kayla."  Everyone froze and looked at me, making me cringe.  "I want my name to be Kayla.  It's the name my parents gave me."  Deucalion smiled and looked around.

"Any objections?"  No one responded, so he stuck out his hand for me to shake.  "Welcome to the pack..."