Chapter 9

"Where the hell were you?"  I gulped and looked down.

"I just wanted to be alone for awhile before the change, but I didn't get to Ethan in time."  He shook his head at me.

"Did they get to you before you passed out?"  I knew he was talking about Scott and the others.

"I don't know.  The last thing I remember was hearing some shouts before I blacked out."  He narrowed his eyes at me.

"Where did you wake up?"  I shrugged.

"I don't know.  I just stood up when no one was around and walked out.  Finally, I figured the way home."  He stood there for a second before he seemed to relax a little.

"But, you don't know who it was?"  I shook my head.  He bit his lip and nodded.  "I guess the only important thing is that you're okay."  He looked me up and down, almost exactly how Dad had looked when I finally saw him.  "I'll call Deucalion.  Why don't you get cleaned up, okay?"  I nodded and watched him go.

"So, you went off for a walk after school before the change, but it started before you could head back to meet Ethan?  Then, just before you passed out, you heard voices and woke up somewhere you didn't recognize, so you snuck out and tried to find your way home, which took you almost a hour?"  I nodded as Deucalion looked me up and down.  "And, you have no idea who it was you heard before you passed out?"  I shook my head.  Kali frowned.

"Did you see a bright light before you passed out?"  I shook my head and frowned.

"If I had, what would it mean?"  She thought for a second.

"It would mean that you bonded with someone: a male.  Either he'd be family or he'd become your mate."  I tried not to pale or color as I thought about Issac and the bright light.  It felt bad lying to these guys, who'd saved my life and all, but they'd kill them if I told them the truth.  Deucalion shrugged and smiled.

"I'm just glad you're okay, Kayla."  Everyone nodded in agreement.  "So, how about we do something normal and go get dinner.  I was thinking that place just down the street."  I frowned.  We never went out to dinner.  I always cooked, or we hunted.  Well, more like they hunted.  I wasn't allowed to kill.  "For your birthday, of course."  I shrugged and nodded.

"Sounds fun."

The next day, Aiden and Ethan ran off as soon as we got through the door.  I looked for Issac, only to find him at my locker, waiting.

"Hey."  I took a deep breath and looked around.

"You were the one who intervened on my change yesterday, aren't you?"  He froze before nodding.  I thought for a second.  "That means that you're my mate now, doesn't it?"  He licked his lips and glanced around.

"Well, that's what your dad said..."  My eyes widened.

"Dad knows...?"  He nodded.

"After you passed out, we called him and Derek, thinking you were in trouble.  After we told them what happened, they said you'd be okay and all, but they wanted you to come see them as soon as you woke up."  I bit my lip and thought for a while.  "Either way, if you don't want to, I have to say that I don't mind if you pursue someone else or whatever.  I just promised your dad that I'd look out for you."  I frowned.

"Do you..."  I shook my head.  He didn't know what he'd done until it was too late.  What if he didn't want to be my mate?  To be honest, I really liked him and thought he was cute, but I didn't want to force this on him.  He smiled at me.

"However, if you'll let me, I'd love to go out with you or whatever werewolves do."  I smiled and blushed.

"You mean you want to be my mate?"  He nodded.  I stood on my toes and kissed his cheek.  "I'd love to have you for my mate."  He smiled down at me.

"Same here."

*Ethan's Pov-

Kayla approached me at lunch.

"Look, I know what would have happened if I'd gone with you yesterday..."  Yeah, I would have been her mate.  I frowned as she continued.  "Can you keep a secret in exchange for a chance to be with Danny?"  I crossed my arms and made sure Aiden wasn't around.

"I'm listening..."  She smirked and sat down.

"You want to be with Danny, and I don't want to be your mate..."  I nodded.  "I will admit I wasn't fully honest with you guys yesterday."  I started to speak, but she cut me off.  "You breath a word to Deucalion or any of the others, I'll never speak a word to you again, Ethan.  Truth is, Scott and Issac were there, and..."  She froze.  My eyes widened.

"Scott?"  She bit her lower lip.

"Nope...  Issac."  I pinched the bridge of my nose as she continued.  "Anyways, you help me keep this hidden from the others, you can have Danny and I won't let Deucalion make us mate.  Got it?"  I thought for a moment.

"How're we going to keep this from Aiden?"  She smirked.

"He's too busy with Lydia anymore to really care.  I just have to keep everyone off my case until I can figure out how to talk Deucalion out of wanting us together."  I sighed and shook my head.

"Fine...  But, what are you going to do if he finds out?"  She shrugged.

"I'll figure something out."  She leaned closer.  "I also know about my dad and cousin, though."  I nodded, biting my lip.

"Okay, I get the point.  I'll help you keep your secret and all, okay?"  She smiled.

"Thanks Ethan.  And, your's is safe with me."  I smiled back.

"It better be."