Chapter 14

The trip was long.  Issac had moved up a few seats by Boyd, sitting too dangerously close to Ethan.  I avoided the subject of last night as I watched him.  Scott looked ill.

"Ennis got you?"  He nodded.  I watched Issac turn and look over at us, his eyes glowing.  "Scott..."  I stood up and moved up, putting myself between him and Ethan.  He stopped short and sat back down.  I heaved a sigh and looked over at Ethan.  "Do yourself and myself a favor...  Keep your distance from Scott, Boyd, and Issac."  He nodded as I stood, took Issac's hand, and headed back to the back.  Scott frowned.

"What was that about?"  I shook my head and looked out the window.  He grimanced as he caught his side.  Stiles looked over.

"Um...  He's bleeding."  I frowned.

"He shouldn't be...  He should be healed by now."  Stiles leaned back.

"Believe me now?"  I looked over and saw the blood.

"Good God..."  He was bleeding, and it looked pretty bad.  "He's not letting himself heal.  He...  He feels responsible for Derek..."  Scott nodded.  I shook my head.  "Anyone who was there would know it's my fault!  I lost the second most important person in my life because of what I did!"  Stiles frowned and looked at me.

"Derek?"  I shook my head, making my point dawn on him.  "Ennis?"  I nodded.

"Ennis was like a dad to me...  He's the one who first found me.  While Deucalion said I could join...  Ennis is the one who helped me get over the loss of my family, got me through school, and made sure I healed perfectly after each injury.  You realize he was the first one who came to see me after I was attacked?"  Scott nodded.

"I was there...  I saw him fighting to get in to see you, and I'm the one who calmed him down.  I told Mom to get him in as quickly as possible, too."  I nodded.  Before I could shift, he was the one who tended to look out for me when I was sick, so it sounded like him.  I trembled a little at the memories.

"He did everything he could to be like a dad to me.  Kali was always like a mom, though.  She trained me, taught me whatever the humans or Ennis couldn't teach me, and helped me through my 13th birthday when I changed for the first time.  Aiden and Ethan are like my brothers.  If anyone ever gave me a hard time, especially if it was a guy, they'd take him out.  Deucalion..."  I shook his head.  "I owe him my life.  He's the one who first talked everyone to take me in.  He sparked the connections I've built with everyone else."  Scott nodded.

"I know how packs get..."  Issac glanced back at Ethan.

"That's why you won't let me kill them?"  I nodded.

"Alright.  Team up and pick a room!  Keep it clean, people!"  I followed Lydia and Allison to our room.  Lydia stopped short.

"I don't like this place."  I nodded in agreement, terror seizing my chest.  Allison shook her head.

"I don't think the people who own this place like it."  She glanced over at me while I rubbed my thumb over the Oracle stone.  "Sides, it's just one night."  I gulped as Lydia said exactly what I was thinking.

"A lot can happen in one night."  I followed them to the room, ignoring the pounding in my head.

"I'm going to bed early."  I chose my bed and laid down, falling asleep immediately.

I could hear the hand saw from my room.  I stood up and followed the sound.  Opening the door to the janitor's closet, I saw Ethan running a hand saw through his chest...

I woke up screaming, scaring Lydia and Stiles, who had come to check on us.  Lydia came over and pulled me into a hug as I started crying.  Stiles frowned.

"What happened?"  I shook my head.

"Ethan..."  I could hear the saw.  "Come on!"  I took off out the door.  Running down the hall, I found the door and lunged across the room at Ethan, knocking the saw from his hands.  In response, he stood and unsheathed his claws.  Stiles and Lydia caught him before he could do anything more.  I stood up, trembling.  "Ethan...?"  He looked a little startled.

"What...  What happened?"  I heaved a sigh of relief and doubled over, trying to catch my breath.

"Don't...  Don't worry about it.  You're safe."  He pulled free and frowned.

"What do you mean?"  I shook my head.

"It's nothing, Ethan.  Don't worry about it."  He looked around and nodded, understanding what I was saying.

"So, you better go check on the others, Kayla.  If we wolves die tonight, they'll know."  I nodded and took off to Issac and Boyd's room.  Opening the door, I saw Boyd laying back into the bath tub, which was full of water.

"Boyd!"  I raced over and caught his shoulders.  "Boyd, no!  Don't do this!"  His gaze was dead, but he was alive...  He was in a trance.  "Boyd!"  My grip slipped, and he fell in.  Stiles and Lydia said something about flares, and I thought for a moment.  "Duratus!"  The Oracle stone glowed slightly as Boyd froze.  I could tell he wasn't moving or breathing, so I called out to Stiles, who came running.  "Hurry...  I can't hold on much longer."  He stuck the lite flare into the water.  Immediately, Boyd resurfaced, roaring in anger.  He turned to me, unsheathing his claws.  "Pacem."  Immediately, he calmed down.  Lydia frowned and looked at me.

"How'd you do that?"  I shrugged as Boyd dried off.

"I just said peace..."  Stiles shook his head.

"No, that was not English!  That was some language..."  Lydia thought for a second.

"It was Latin."  I frowned and thought for a second.

"Did my eye color change?"  She nodded.  "What color were they?"

"Emerald green."  I looked around.

"Where's Issac?"  I heard a creak of a board from under the bed.  Stiles smirked.

"I hate my job."  He looked under the bed.  "Hey, Issac.  I got something for you..."  He stuck the flare under the bed.  I raced over as Issac lunged from under the bed at him.  I caught Issac's shoulders.

"Pacem!"  He stopped short and looked over at me, the glow dying in his eyes.

"Kayla?"  I nodded and hugged him.  "It was horrible.  Dad was there, and he locked me the freezer again..."  He sniffed and looked down at me.  "It was horrible..."  I nodded, looking up at him.

"I know, Issac...  I know.  Everything will be okay now."  I looked over at Stiles.  "Where's Allison and Scott?"