Chapter Ten

EDNA'S POV.
I felt like doing something with my hands as I've been sitting around since morning, with nothing to do. Peter was at daycare and although I didn't like the idea, he had to socialize. Mrs Trent was going to pick him up later to spend the night at her place. She complained that she never sees him again since we moved and she was probably right. I found Alex's housekeeper in the kitchen sorting ingredients for dinner. What was her name again? Oh yeah, Regina.
"Hey, Regina?"
"Miss John-"
"Please" Interrupted, "Edna is just fine"
"Okay. Edna? Can I help you?"
I smiled. She was so easygoing. "Yes actually," I wrung my fingers together, "I was wondering if you'd let me cook dinner tonight?"
"Of course. Do you need help?"
"Thanks. That's fine. I just need to do something."
"Okay. I'll let myself out then. Bye." She said and gathered her stuff.
"Thanks. Bye." She walked out of the kitchen and five minutes later, I heard the front door close.
Regina was getting ingredients ready for spaghetti and stew. I put the spaghetti on the fire to cook and then started with the stew. Cooking was everything to me and I always had the hands for it.
I finished washing all the veggies and the potatoes, sliced them and started mixing ingredients together till my pot of stew was simmering in my face. I'd turned on the sound system halfway into my cooking and I was swaying to the beat of the slow country music while stirring. I finished cooking and cleaned up my work space.
"You always loved to cook," Alex murmured from the kitchen's entrance, "it wasn't an act."
As disoriented as I was, I had to roll my eyes at that. Is everything I do an act with this dude? I almost wanted to point my thumb at him as though I was in a conversation with someone else in the room.
"Welcome back Alex, I take it, work was fine?"
"It was revealing." He answered distracted.
"All good then. I made spaghetti, want some?"
"I'd love some," He replied, a smile playing at the corner of his lips. That's odd.
"Okay..." I dished him some food and served my myself as well. He took out a bottle of wine from a minibar and poured it into two glasses.
He took a bite out of it and it took him a while to say anything else.
"Amazing. Just, Amazing."
"Thanks Alexander, the wine is good too." I replied. And it was. I wonder what would have made him give up his really good wine like that. Maybe he's celebrating something big. I don't think Alex was so generous.
"Regina didn't cook today?"
"No, I asked her to leave. She'd cook from tomorrow."
"Why don't you continue?"
"I don't need to" I replied with a strange calm in my veins.
"Oh, okay. Where's Peter?"
"Mrs Trent's."
We ate in silence but I could see that he wanted to keep talking. Too bad. What is wrong with him anyway.

ALEX'S POV.
I hated the feeling I had right now. I loved being in control, however, at this point, I'm not in control of anything for that matter. I felt so guilty about all I made her go through.
"You can keep cooking if you want to Edna," I said when both our plates were clear, "Regina doesn't need to cook all the time."
"No thanks. I'd hate to be accused of poisoning your food."
"Edna..."
She got up and cleared the dishes and dropped them in the sink, then she turned back to face me. "We both know why I am here Alex, let's not overdo it." She said calmly. "I'm sure you understand that the sooner I can leave this house, the better for me. No need for me to start playing house. Good night Alex."
I buried my face in my palms and resisted the urge to groan. This couldn't have been more difficult. Curse my outrageous sense of revenge.