Chapter two

What were the odds that I would meet Alexander Laurent, one of the richest billionaires in the city after we parted ways five years ago? Well parted ways was putting lightly. He basically kicked me out of his life and destroyed mine while at it. The olds were nil. Zero. We ran in different circles for one. He had a circle of rich people friends and I had no circle to speak of; also he made it clear that he didn't want to ever see my face and I was more than okay with it. The very last person I expected to see today was  Alexander Laurent, sitting and chatting with my boss like they've been friends from childhood. They were laughing at jokes and everything.
"I'll leave you two to it then." My boss said snapping me out of it. He walked passed me and shut the door quietly behind him leaving me alone with the last person I wanted to ever see.
The room was quiet and I stayed put. Not a muscle moved. I stared at the man sitting on the table across from me. He had his hair in The ruffled he always did. Knowing him he must have run his hand through it a million times today.
"Hello." He started, his deep voice sending chills down my spine. I didn't know what brought Alexander to see me or what he wanted but my guy told me I'd be better off not finding out. Even still I couldn't force myself to turn around and leave the office. "You look good. For someone doing something like this." He said with that condescending tone he uses to address everybody.
Still annoying as ever.
"I must say, a departmental store is the last place I expect to see you, given your qualifications. Isn't this a lot like a fall from grace?" He continued mockingly. That was him, Alexander Laurent. He knew where it hurt and never hesitates to strike you there.
"Yeah. Given your less than perfect recommendation, I found myself here, but at least they trust and respect me.'
I turned the chair aside and sit with my legs crossed. I wasn't going to let him intimidate me.
"Sadly." He replied with a tsk. "They will discover it eventually. It's hard to hide so much vile in plain sight."
It hurt that he would say things like this after everything. Everything.
"What do you want Alex?" I asked a little to sharply. I couldn't let him see how much his words affected me.
"You owe me, and it is time for pay back."
***
"Get her out of my building" Alexander said in that quiet voice he always seemed to have when he was angry. All the time I have known him, I was glad that he never addressed me with that tone. Except today.
I couldn't help the tears that spilled from my eyes as the security guards led me out of the building.
I couldn't help myself. I had to make him understand. He has to know I would never do that to him.
"Alex? Alex! Wait! I didn't do it. I swear I didn't!" My voice echoed in the lobby as the men half-dragged, half-carried me out of the building. I would have never believed that I could be the dramatic type. I guess I had it in me all the while." Someone had leaked vital information of the company to a rival company and it was traced to me. He took no time to order my exit.
***
"It's been four years Alexander," I groan, rolling my eyes. " I told you then and my story haven't changed. I didn't leak your precious documents. What do you want?" I was surprised at myself really. An hour ago, I could not imagine having a conversation like this much less with so much confidence.
"A wife. For plainly business reasons of course." He said plainly.
"Of course." I scoffed. " And I give a damn how? I don't do matchmaking as a side hustle you know."
"Well," he began ignoring my sacarsm, "women are dreadfully materialistic and I figured since you owe me, you might as well make yourself useful, but," he put a finger up when I was about to give a retort, "we are going to sign a prenup and an NDA."
The nerve. I was fuming.
"How does this benefit me in anyway, business proposal and all."
"Becoming my wife of course." He rolled his eyes as though amused that I even asked. "Sweetheart, this isn't a proposal. You owe me it's time to pay up."
"You have really lost it. You don't expect me to drop my life and family just because you asked. You are bat shit crazy if you believe you can make me."
"Really love? Can I not?" He tone was menacing, daring.
"I have a kid and I can't dump a marriage on him." I felt slightly guilty for using Peter as a weapon but with him, all bets were off.
He paused and I was beginning to feel like I'd won.
"I didn't plan for it but I can provide for his upkeep along with your for as long as it will take. You'd have to help your kid handle the news of the marriage. Lie if you have to." He said it all businesslike, like he wasn't talking about a person's life. When did he become like this? "I assume the father is not in the picture?"
"It's none of your business and I'm not agreeing to this."
"It is my business wether the father would be trouble. Besides, I know you're still unmarried and you're agreeing to it because I'd make your life miserable otherwise." He was already making my life miserable without even trying.
"So?"
"The father is not in the picture."
"Excellent. I'll send someone to get you tomorrow. Be ready."
***
I tried my best to keep the encounter with Alex out of my head for most of the day but when I have put Peter to sleep and couldn't stop the thought as they assaulted me.
With any luck, Peter will take it well and hopefully, so would I. I knew better than to cross Alexander Laurent.
He can't know about Peter. After everything I couldn't let him know. It wasn't past him to take him away from me. I would protect this secret because it's the only thing keeping Peter with me.
***

***
Good news
We are really working on the remaining chapters, don't forget to comment and tell us your thoughts on this book.
Yours truly
Phiya

Read my(Gimbiya) latest book