Chapter 40 - Assault

After the FBI agent sent an urgent request to the police to rush their way towards Alice's location, they went back to their investigation. They discerned that the note given by Rodrigo Lopez was questionable and that maybe he meant that the killer was around that time, just like what Alice said. Yet, they still tried to find other motive for the killing to be sure. They already interviewed the warden and asked whether Rodrigo had a fight with someone before the incident. The warden said Rodrigo wasn't the type to get involved in a fight. He never showed aggression towards his inmates. None of his cellmates had an issue with him before he died. It was just after they ate in the cafeteria for lunch that he started choking to death.

It obviously wasn't food poisoning from the cafeteria just by the mere fact that everyone in prison eats the same food so dying alone by poison was absurd. It was intended.

It was then they looked at Alice's side of the story. Alice said that Jack Kinley killed Lopez specifically to avoid telling them about him since he predicted that they would come back to ask him again about the note Lopez gave.

Consequently, they reviewed the visiting list within the day of Jorge and Alice's visit to confirm if Joe was there.

Joe's name appeared in the day of Jorge and Alice's visit and the day of Rodrigo Lopez's death. It was almost the same as to what happened to Jorge in prison. There was a pattern.

The agent said "Motherf---"

He called his colleague from the team of agents who were investigating in Alice's previous apartment to report but the agent from the other line talked before he even said a word.

"It was Joe Schmidt. Jorge was not lying!"

Then they both connected everything in their minds as they simultaneously said "It was all him."

The agent in prison tried to call Alice but her line was unattended. He was supposed to tell her to stay indoors and let the police do their work. They had no idea that she went her way to save Morrie.

They called the police again to follow-up the case because lives are in danger. The police said they're making every possible way to send someone in her area but they were scarce at the moment. Even so, a police officer was already assigned and should be expected once done within his current area of mission.

The drive towards the place was long. As soon as they passed by the diner, Alice looked at the people dining happily on their tables. It was the contrast of the moment that made her feel sentimental. She might never feel that way again after the night, she thought. The road towards the house was bone-chilling. It was dark and they know they were heading towards a dead end at some point. They were too far from civilization now. The house was located in a very secluded spot, probably 5 kilometers away from the main road.

After several minutes which felt like hours, they arrived at an area near a house. It must be it because it was the only house around the place. It was already sketchy from the outside. They parked far from the place so their arrival would go unnoticed by someone inside the house.

While they were inside the car, she looked at Paul and he looked different. He had the look she couldn't explain. A look of someone trying to hide the terror within. He was sweating a lot and his hands were shaking. She felt exactly the same.

Paul said "Are you sure this is where the basement is?"

"This has to be the place." ,she replied.

"Alice, whatever happens, we must stay together, okay?"

"Yes, we must!"

They stepped out of the car, bringing weapons. Paul had a retractable telescopic stick and Alice had a stun gun. It wasn't the most excellent choice of weapon if Joe had an actual gun.