Chapter 17 - Fallen

After a moment, he whispered to Alice, "Why don't you pop up to bed for a bit and try to get a little sleep? Meanwhile, Morrie and I will rustle up something for us all to eat when you wake up."

Alice looked at him and smiled, "You and Morrie?"

"Me and Morrie."

"Rustle up something to eat?"

"That's right."

"For when I wake up?"

"For when you wake up."

She stretched herself up from his shoulder. "You know you have the nicest way of bribing someone to have a really long rest."

He stood up with her and clasped her to himself. "Geez, Alice. Morrie is our friend. Don't think that way. But still..... nice to have you back, Miss Simone."

"Nice to be back, Mr. Schmidt." She inclined her head to Joe then kissed him on the cheek.

She disentangled herself and with a last, slightly nervous glance, left for the house of Sally.

Joe shouted to her when she was already far. "Be careful on your way, okay? Road's slippery!"

"I know! Not a blind woman, mister!" She yelled back with a very bright response.

When she left, Joe touched his cheek which Alice kissed then widely smiled. It boosted his energy to search for Kinley more. Alice's kiss was indeed a vitamin for Joe. It kept him up, working on the case the whole day.

That time, he confirmed that he gained a score from Alice

That time, he confirmed that he gained a score from Alice. He was proud about it.

Alice got home, kept all her worries away first then just slept to somehow catch up for tomorrow's work. She had to have enough strength to pull through everything tomorrow as a secretary. It's not easy being one and she knows that. She slept peacefully for 5 hours and as she woke up, she checked her inbox. There was a message from Joe. She reads it with her eyes half opened.

Alice, our special delivery was in front of your door, waiting. We tried ringing your doorbell but we got no response from you. I think you're still sleeping, that's why we just left it there. Wish no one else steals it. It's magnificently delicious!

I hope you had a good rest!

She beamed after reading and she walked her way to her door. She opened it and saw the Tupperware on the floor wrapped in a very elegant ribbon. She picked it then brought it inside to eat it.

She texted Joe after tasting the food they cooked. "It tasted good. Way to go, chef."

"Not even a culinary expert! So then does that make you a critic?", he replied in a jiffy.

Alice laughed. She keyed in, "I have to sleep now, Joe. Good night! Thanks for the food! Loved it!"

"Good night, Alice." He replied.