Chapter 34 - Puzzles

Back in the police office, the chief and the special agent were discussing about Kinley's case. The argument grew from nowhere to a tornado. There was no heat in the special agent's voice, as if his heart beat steadily, even though he took a different view from the chief's own. It was his way of settling things but the chief was too accustomed to his fiery temper so the special agent tried his best to dampen the situation and avoid adding to the flames.

The chief's verity was different. He had the kind of superiority that radiates contempt and his words were always packed with a powerful punch.

The chief shouted, "The killings are pointing over Kinley according to the investigators! If it weren't for that dumb hospital who got in the way of transferring him to an asylum with a dumb security, all these wouldn't be happening!"

The special agent argued, "Sir, I am sure they tried to stop him but he killed them."

"Of course he would! He's a psychopath! And when a patient's a psychopath, the rules must be more strict when it comes to security! How could they not think of that?!"

"The FBI had their own game in this. They checked his medical records in the hospital where he had been admitted for rehab. He has a multiple personality disorder. Not clearly a psychopath, but someone who struggled more with managing the emotions of his trauma."

"We talked to him once. We already know where to find him! Lock him up for good and the people would shut their mouth!" His fuse simmered and fizzed like a firework as he exploded with unrestrained fury.

"I'm pretty sure the FBI knows what they're doing."

"Oh stop with that bullshit! Jack had already successfully made his way out not guilty for insanity pleas!"

BGM:

"Sir, he was abused! His soul is still wrestling with a myriad of self esteem related traumas. Child abuse crosses an ocean of time to avoid the healing and steal the joy in his simplest daily activities. Meaning to say, we should understand how his mind works rather than punishing him more. Maybe... just maybe, he really didn't do all the crimes like how he denied it years ago."

"So you're saying we convicted the wrong guy?"

"I did not say he was the wrong guy but because he never admitted any of his crimes, it seemed questionable."

"Denial is a person's psychological protection from facing horrible consequences or truth! Surely a criminal would deny!"

"A psychopath do not repent what they do so denying what he did would be a very cloudy idea. If a psychopath killed someone, he or she will even be proud of it. You see, sir, he was taken to a mental hospital not because they wanted to give him comfort or anything else but because he had to be kept away from people for his sudden violent outbursts. We wouldn't want him hurting people in prison so he had to be isolated. He needed to be treated. And we should stop treating everyone with mental disorders a psychopath. A psychopath is very much distinct from a sociopath, a drug addict or a person with mental disorder. And I believe that all of them should be treated differently according to their background. With all due respect, sir, I understand that the weight on your shoulders from the massive amount of pressure from the media and the people to catch the killer for their losses, causes you to panic and display a towering rage, but I think we need to calm down first and foremost and out of all people, so we can have a clear view of the cases going on."