Chapter 8 - Renewed

But not until the man talked, "Alice! Hey! It's me!"

She looked up to his face. She saw it was her boss. She grabbed him and said, "Let's go. Not safe! Not safe! Someone's behind me! He's going to kill me!"

Jack didn't let himself be dragged by her, instead he pulled her back to him and said "You have to stay calm, Alice."

"Oh yes! I should stay calm because someone's just going to kill me! Is that what you want?!"

"But no one's behind you, Alice."

"I'm sure. He's just right there." She can't stop crying.

"It's okay. It's okay... I'm here with you now. You're safe..." He hugged her, making her feel safer around his arms. Alice, without notice, hugged him back tightly. Jack felt how scared she was by her embrace. He tapped her back. "Don't worry now... You're okay. You're okay..."

She was eased down to his voice. She was crying like a baby. By now, she didn't care about her image as a secretary. She only cared about what she currently feels.

Jack could feel her whole body shaking. He said "Let's go home now, Alice. It's not safe around here, you said."

"Good idea. Let's go. Please." She walked away hurriedly.

"Where are you going? Hey, I got a car with me. You might want to—"

"Better!" She came to him. Jack smiled. "Okay." He brought her inside his car and drove.

While they're on the way home, he said "Why are you alone in the street at this time by the way?"

She stuttered when she said, "Ju-just finished my work."

"Oh...... I guess I should adjust your schedule to daytime from now on."

"Oh, please do."

No one talked.

Until, Alice insisted. "I'm glad you were around at this time. If you didn't come around, I might have just got myself killed.............. Thank you."

"I came from a meeting, a late night meeting... It was stressful. Anyway, that's no big deal, don't worry. I'm glad you're safe."

"I shouldn't have judged you about the meeting thing..... It just saved me."

"What?"

"Nothing." She looked away, faced the window, watching the fast lane.

Jack looked at her and saw her shaking. "You're still shaking."

"Of course! That was a terrifying moment! Be in my shoes!"

"What happened back there anyway?" He got his eyes on the road.

"A stranger called me... He said scary things to me, threatening me. He said he knows where I live and he's going to kill me while I sleep. He scared me to death! Ah! I just don't want to remember every detail!" She bowed her head, closed her eyes and pulled her hair on her temple.

Hidden SanityOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara