Chapter 22 - Full Moon

The next morning, it was strangely cold. She struggled to rise from her bed to go to work, losing every reason to do so day by day.

Was she afraid of the judging eyes from the office because of the issue that surfaced around? Or was it because Jack has totally ghosted her, at least to her perception?

Could it be that she felt helpless above all that's happening in her life now with Jack's absence or is she just terribly missing him?

She forced herself to make breakfast, something to fill her inside so she will feel less empty.

For not so long, she went to the office, thinking to herself that she needed to face them, with or without Jack. Besides, she has Joe on her side. That will suffice.

As she entered the office, no one had really paid attention, like always. Everyone was busy working. She sat in her area and started with her own tasks.

A little while passed, Morrie walked to her and said "I need to pass this to the president, tell him it was a little late but I already talked to the design team and it has already been approved by the director. This could be a good pitch for Anotech, the new company we're bidding for."

She handed her a flash drive.

She replied with such guilt in her face, "Okay. Thanks."

She can't look her straight in the eye because Morrie was the one who she knew was suspecting her of something ever since they first did it in his office and it was their first conversation after that.

Alice walked to the pantry and filled a cup of water for her to drink and relax her thoughts a little bit.

Morrie followed her and just right after she got out of the pantry, Morrie confronted her.

"Are the rumors true?"

The office was quiet so her voice was loud enough to make a commotion. The people in the office looked at her, waiting for a confirmation or even a valid reason why all of a sudden she wanted to bring the reputation of the company down.

She drained her glass then spoke. Her voice now almost devoid of tone, as if she was being forced reluctantly to recite in public.

"Those are rumors."

She had the instinct to deny or else everything in her life will fall apart.

Morrie with blank face, a bit cause of jealousy maybe, replied as she studied her face. "If you're going to deny, you can at least act a little less guilty about it, you know."

Alice wondered why all of a sudden she's mean to her when she's her friend, having no idea of what really is happening behind her back, or what's really going on between Morrie and Jack.

"Why are you being like this, Morrie?"

Morrie just smiled sarcastically as a response like she knew something Alice didn't.

Until Paul butted in, "Morrie, stop this. Get back to your seat." He held the sides of her shoulders and make her turn around from Alice.

Alice mouthed the words, "Thanks" to Paul as he turned around after Morrie.

Morrie walked away as ordered. Alice went back to her seat then she saw Paul approaching her way. She cleared her throat. She knew he'll be up for interrogations, except that it's a more private line of action.

Paul said "Alice, I'm really sorry. I don't know what to believe nowadays. But if it is true---"

She cut his sentence with, "What if it's not true?"