Chapter 29 - Uncover

He gave a subtle nod. He walked closer and the guard opened the gates before he even reached it.

He said "Thanks."

The lady said, "What are you doing here in the middle of the night?"

"I just want to ask a question."

"Come inside. It's freezing cold out here."

She looked very complaisant. She had always been very friendly.

They sat inside the lobby.

Jack was just observing the interior of the orphanage. Familiarizing himself to the place he once knew.

The house had a history that echoed within the walls. Somewhere within, mixed with the pain, were images of solitude.

The walls didn't seem so grey when he was only a boy. The walls were bare and the paint was in need of loving care. It stood strong beneath the flakes and dirt of the years.

The floors had been a highly polished parquet, individual blocks lovingly places and sanded to a smooth finish before the varnish was brushed on with fine brushes.

Vividly, he could picture his childhood. The inside is more like an asylum than anything that could be called a home.

There was a smell of mildew, stale air coming from poor ventilation. Very humid.

He looked very serious, with eyes of an empty soul.

The lady spoke, "You seem like you're here for a serious business."

He didn't answer and just kept on looking around.

She said "Do you want me to tour you around?"

He stopped and finally met her gaze. "No. You're right. I was here for a serious business."

"What was it about? Do you want some tea?"

"I won't be here for too long so no thanks.", he said as he sat properly. He turned his body towards the lady and said "Rebecca, do you remember the last time I went here?"

She bowed her head and uncomfortably played with her fingers. Something a guilty person would act. She said "I'm sorry for giving you the wrong information."

"Did you lie to me on purpose?"

"There's a misunderstanding here. I didn't expect you to be looking for them that day and to be honest, I wasn't expecting you now either."

"I'm here now. Tell me where they are."

"Don't you think this is all coming too fast?"

"I don't want to stay longer in this place. It's hot. It's crowded. It smells like children's piss!"

"If you're going to talk like that, please leave."

"Tell me why I shouldn't talk like that? That is how I remember this place. A burning hell in disguise."

"How dare you spit those words out? The people here took care of you!"

He laughed then changed his facial expression abruptly. He looked mad.

The look they all were scared to.

"Where are they? Are you hiding them from me?"

"We just want to ensure both parties' safety."

"Safety?!"

"Jorge, please calm down and let's not talk in a hot-headed manner. The children might get awake."