Chapter Forty

Courtney's POV;

Silence followed my sudden outburst, my mind struggling to register coherent thoughts, and my heart struggling to keep up it's fast pace. It was wonderful, encased in red silk and delicately placed in this red velvet box. But I couldn't accept it, such a small and special thing, that was given to Justin and meant for Justin. My lips parted, chapped at the center, stinging as I inhaled cold deep breaths. "Justin I can't" I whispered, aware of the hurt welling in his chocolate irises. My hands shook only slightly as I slowly closed the velvet box, and holding it back out to a distraught Justin, who dismally took it back.

"B-But why? I thought you would like it-" 

"I do Justin! I really do! But your father gave that necklace to you and I could never take it away"

"But he said- he said that when I find a girl I love very much, I will feel when the time is right, and give her this necklace" He whispered, pulling out the silver chain from it's silk bed, into a loose fist. The dog-tag pendant swung from side to side as his fist shook, and I regrettably took notice to the tears beginning to pool in his eyes. "And I wanted you to have this, because I lov- I love you very much" he nodded, and it gave the push for his tears as they rolled down his cheeks in glistening ribbons, almost too beautiful to wipe away.

"Justi-"

"A-And this ring. I-It's a promise ring. Because I promise to love you and care for you, and although I'm not perfect you can bet I'll be trying my hardest to be as perfect a boyfriend as I possibly can be" he sniffled, lazily wiping his nose with the back of his hand before using his elbow to restlessly wipe away the drying tears. He drew in a choked sob before slouching his broad shaking shoulders in defeat, apologizing silently for his tears.

"Justin, sweetie, it's beautiful, thank you" I placed my hands gently on his cheeks, and turned his head upwards to face me. My voice shook as I took notice of his red eyelids, swollen lips, and tinted pink nose from the cold he was gradually succumbing to. He was confused my by statement, but I saw a glimmer -if that- of hope flash across his face, twinkle in his pupils.

"You'll take it?" he hoarsely sniffled, sitting up and pushing the beautiful silver chain to me. His cheeks were red and streaky, and his eyes puffy and pink. The image of such a broken Justin making my heart ache, and a feeling of absolute guilt surrounded me, trickling down my throat and swelling in my lungs.

"Will you put it on me?" I mumbled, a smile tugging at the corners of my lips as one did to Justin's, finally seeming more well-spirited and happy. 

He unclasped the latch on the silver chain, and slipped the delicate gold ring onto the chain, it's amethyst center reflecting on the worn surface of the dog-tag it loosely hung next to. I turned around to face away from Justin, pulling my hair messily into a fist, to help Justin with the simple task of which I'm sure was quite a challenge to him, with his new-found sight. 

His hands brushed against the loose strands of my hair, of which I was unable to hold in my fist, as he brought the necklace gently around my neck, before clasping it at the back. He took his time in removing his hands from my skin, brushing his fingertips behind my ear and down to my collar bone. His warm breath filters out onto my skin, settling there and seeping through. His nose pushed against my shoulder, before his lips came into contact with my shoulder blade, where he placed a sweet kiss. 

"I love you" he mumbled against my shoulder, eyes closing, eyelashes barely brushing my skin. He stayed still, waiting for my response.

"I love you, J" 

We stayed in that position for at least another fifteen minutes, drowned in a comfortable silence, dwelling in the glorious feeling of the others embrace. "I don't want to move, but I think we have breakfast awaiting us" Justin mumbled, before swiftly standing and pulling me up with him, leading me with his little finger around mine.

------------------------------------------------------

Damn you guys hate cliffhangers! The story is getting so long I hadn't realised we were at Chapter 40! Omg thak you guys for all you have done, I love to read your comments so pleeaase give me some feedback :)

Were you expecting that gift or not? If not, what were you thinking of? :P

Thanks guys, Love, Alice x

[ Next few chapters are going to be jam packed full of exciting - and emotional - stuff, so brace yourselves ]