Chapter Thirty One

Courtney's POV;

I sat beside Justin with my hand engulfed in his. I rubbed my thumb in small circles over the back of his hand, in attempt to calm both him and myself. 

We were now in a small, white tiled room filled with humming machinery and spinning chairs. Justin was currently having his eyes tested, so that we would be able to know the extent of his newly found eyesight. My knees bounced up and down in impatience and nerves, but I kept still once Justin gently placed his other hand on my knee in reassurance. 

"So, Justin. I can give you the results now or would you like to wait until later?" the nurse asked kindly, glancing at me warily. Justin gave my hand a slight squeeze in reassurance and then replied, "Now, please".

The nurse cleared her throat, and then gathered a few sheets of paper together before confronting us again. "Well, your eyesight has cleared gradually, and you are able to see objects about a metre away clearer than at any other distance. You should be able to make out who people are, but it is unlikely that you will be able to see small details. Unfortunately, the eyes are unpredictable, and your eyesight could begin to ware away again. If you feel this happening, please contact us as soon as possible and we will do everything we can to keep it stable."

The nurse handed me a couple of leaflets and a small card with phone numbers of various opticians and eye specialists. "Have a quick look through these when you have the time, and as I said, contact us whenever you are unsure of something or feel your eyesight fading again."

She smiled at us both and I gave a grateful smile in return, "Thank you so much" I breathed out, my heart going haywire as I tried to collect my thoughts.

"More than welcome, sweetheart" she sweetly spoke, whilst shaking Justin's hand as he too thanked her.

Walking down the hallways, we failed to speak and instead remained silent. I glanced over to Justin who was turning his head frantically, trying to look at everything as we walked past. When he would look at the silhouettes of people rushing by, they would turn to look at him with a confused and annoyed expression. I smiled at them apologetically before they could ask about why he was looking at them strangely. But they didn't understand. They didn't understand that this boy beside me had been blind his whole life, unable to see even the outline of objects, the baby blue shade of the sky, or the jade green of the grass. The sights of these things were new for him to explore, and waiting for him to discover; and I was going to stand beside him along the way.

______________________________________________________________

Continuing on Courtney's POV;

"Thank you" Justin whispered hoarsely as I handed him one of his backpacks, and pulled the other over my shoulder. We had barely spoken to each other, and the silence that settled between us began to become thick and uncomfortable. 

"Do you think that's everything?" I asked, trying to get at least a few more words out of Justin. We were now leaving the hospital, and I had called Pattie to ask where I should take Justin. She had given me an address, and so I was about to drive Justin over - once we had checked out of the hospital.

"Yes, I'm sure" he mumbled, and began to make his way outside of the room and onto the hospital corridors. Sighing, I followed a few steps behind him. 

It felt strange, not having to lead the way, not having to hold Justin's hand to keep him safe and help him avoid any objects that may be in the way. In a way, I missed being able to guide him. 

I checked Justin out at the desk, my voice deflated and my expression bothered. Justin was acting strangely, it was as if he no longer wanted to speak or spend time with me, and the thought of that made my heart ache. What if he was disappointed with my appearance? Surely he had seen my face good enough to see what I look like? That was the only conclusion I could make, and warm tears began to well in my eyes.

"Okay, let's put these in the car then" I spoke, gesturing to the bag on my shoulder. I unlocked the car and lifted to boot, placing the bag on one side and leaving the other side for the bag that Justin was holding.

He placed his bag in the boot, and I waited for him to get into the car before I pulled to boot hood down. 

"Justin, is something bothering you?" I spoke softly once I got into the driver's side of the car. I placed my hand over his gently, and his shoulders seemed to relax and he glanced at me with big, hazel brown orbs. His eyebrows were furrowed, and the stress and despair was evident in his expression.

His lips parted but no words escaped, and he seemed to struggle with finding the words to say. "I just- erm. I-I just don't want you to be disappointed if you know, if my vision does begin to fade again" He sighed and used his thumb to rub his temples. 

He brushed his hair back with his hand, but a few small pieces tumbled back over onto his forehead again; so I brushed them back for him and then placed a comforting hand on his cheek. "I would never be disappointed, J. I would only be hurt to see you hurt."

I couldn't bare the thought of his sight fading again, he would be broken and that would be heartbreaking for me. "I love you no matter what, you need to know that, okay?" I whispered before placing a small and sweet kiss on his plump pink lips.

______________

Dedicated to OneLonelyyGirl - sorry for worrying you!