Chapter Thirty

"Courtney" I whispered, my throat sore and my head pounding. She didn't answer me, but I knew she was there. Her blurred outline blocking half of my light, and her warm minty breath fanning over my face; sending tingles up my spine. "Courtney" I repeated, my voice deflated and my head pounding with both excitement and fear.

She caressed my bruised cheek with her small, soft hands; and I heard a deflated 'mmhmm' to assure me she was listening. But, now that I had her attention I struggled for words to say. How could I speak those words if I wasn't confident in them myself? "I can- Wh- I can see you" the words I thought so clearly, yet could not believe, were spoken with breaks and stuttering that I found myself unable to control.

Her hand froze on my cheek, her figure now still, hovering above me. The hand she had used to caress my cheek rose and brushed away the strands of my hair that had flopped over my forehead and tangled with my eyelashes. "I-I mean, my vision is blurred but I can still see you" my eyes gazed over her figure to sense any signs of emotion, as I was unable to see her face clearly.

Her shoulders tensed and her hand stilled yet again, "You're not joking with me now, Justin? You mean, you really can see?" Her tone serious yet hopeful, and it made my heart beat faster at the thought of being able to truly see Courtney; to be able to compliment her the way I should do, and maintain her confidence in herself.

Nodding slightly, I took her small hand in my own and rubbed my thumb in circles over the back of her hand. "Justin, we have to tell somebody" her hand pulled away, "I'll go get the nurse, okay?"

I watched as the blur of her figure faded, and when she could no longer be seen, I threw my head back onto the pillow and stared up at the blank white ceiling above. This was so strange... I'd never been able to see even the outline of shapes in my life, and now suddenly i could see blurred outlines of people and the furniture around the room. It was certainly a lot to comprehend. 

________________________________________________

Courtney POV.

My heart was thumping in my ears as I rushed down the hospital corridors. I couldn't find any nurses that weren't already occupied with other patients, or comforting the patients' family and friends. A older nurse, in her late sixties most likely, caught my eye and she rushed over to me instantly after noticing my stressed state.

"Are you okay there, Hun?" her sweet grandmother like voice spoke, and she placed a comforting and reassuring hand on my shoulder. I smiled back gratefully, "I'm sorry I just- Um, my blind boyfriend can see again?" I laughed to myself, overwhelmed with both happiness and how unbelievably stupid I sounded when attempting to voice my situation.

For a moment I saw a flash of doubt cross her wrinkle-dented face, until she nodded with slight smile, "Well then, just let me check up on him" and we began our way back to Justin's room.

When I opened the door to Justin's room for the lady to walk past, my heart fluttered at the sight of him lying in the hospital bed vulnerable. The white light above him made his skin look paler, and his eyes reflect the light like mini TV screens - you could barely see his dark hazel pupils. His lips looked even more pink and soft against his now paler looking skin. His long, dark eyelashes fluttered when I closed the door, and brushed against his cheek slightly when he blinked. 

"J? I'm back, erm-" I looked to the nurse to help explain what would happen. She checked his patient name on the clipboard at his bedside table; "Hello there, Justin. If you wouldn't mind, I would like to take some tests on your eyesight in a few minutes. As it seems, this has come has quite a unexpected turn of events, but I must take tests just in case, okay?" She smiled warmly at Justin and then back to me, before tucking the clipboard under her arm.

"I'll be about ten minutes setting up the equipment for the test just next door, I'll leave you two alone in the meantime" she spoke gently before she left the room.

I made my way over to Justin, and sat down on the hospital bed next to him. I traced his jawline with my index finger, and he smiled gently at my touch. "I just want to see you" he whispered, his dark brown orbs gazing into my own. 

A smile tugged at the corners of my lips, and I leaned down slowly and placed a small kiss on his lips. When I pulled away, I could feel his warm breath on my lips as he placed his hand softly on my chin, and rubbed his thumb over my bottom lip. "You will" I whispered, and the hope in his eyes was reflected in my own.

_______________________________________-

Dedication to heartbeatx for her kind comment :)