Chapter One

I fluttered my eyes open, giving my eyes a few second to adjust to the light that was streaming in through the gap in the curtains. Groaning loudly, I wiping my tired eyes with my soft fingertips, wiping the sleep away. I looked over towards the fireplace and smiled as Gingerbread, my over weight cat, rolled onto his side. I must have fallen asleep whilst watching ‘The Notebook’ as the menu was displayed on my TV. I sat up, stretching my thin arms out to the side and yawning. Sleeping on the sofa was a bad idea, certainly not comfortable. My neck clicked as I moved and my shoulder blades ached.

 I slowly got up, trying to prevent myself from getting dizzy in the process. I walked into my kitchen and opened my fridge to reveal my breakfast, nothing. The fridge was empty; I must have forgotten to go shopping on the weekend. “Fudgesticks” I muttered to myself, hunting around the kitchen for something, anything edible.

With no such luck I huffed, reaching into a cupboard and finding the cat food. I placed a few cat biscuits in Gingerbreads bowl and then placed it on the floor. Gingerbread, being as lazy as he is, waddled over to the bowl and started munching down his food. I swore to myself that that would be the one and only time I would be jealous of a cat.

I rushed into my bedroom, changing into leggings and an ‘OBEY’ t-shirt. Stuffing my dark, wavy hair into a messy bun. I threw a pair of torn converses onto my feet and walked back out of my bedroom. I grabbed my keys from the kitchen counter and walked out of my apartment, locking the door after me. I jogged down the long wooden staircase, smiling at the few people I passed on my way down. I got to the bottom of the staircase and walked through the lobby.

 I smiled as I passed a middle-aged woman around her late thirties, and a boy that looked about my age. To tell the truth he was good looking, unbelievably good-looking. And I would have bet he had girls throwing themselves at him wherever he went.

The lady smiled back warmly and the boy just stared, almost as if he was looking through me. She held onto his hand and gave it a little squeeze, making him smile back at me. I gave a last smile and carried on walking out and onto the streets. The cool breeze instantly hit me as I walked out of the door, my long brown hair flung over onto my left shoulder due to the forceful wind. I checked for any cars left and right before jogging across the road and onto the pavement on the other side.

I dodged the large puddles on the boring, stone pavement and walked casually into the supermarket. I grabbed the nearest shopping basket I could find and began to scan the isles, looking for what I needed. I placed the normal, milk, cereal, bread, butter, fruit, vegetables, soda, red bull etc. Into the now full basket and made my way back over to the paying till. I waited a few minutes and then paid once it was my turn. I smiled at the lady and grabbed the shopping bags, taking two in each hand. I walked back out of the store and did the exact same as I had done before; checking both ways for cars.

Once I’d crossed the road, I smiled at the stubby looking gate man, Henry, who smiled back warmly to me. “Miss Mayers” he nodded politely, considering this was really just a block of apartments, the staff was amazing. They treated us like residents of a posh hotel.

“Hey Henry” he smiled at my casual attitude, but what did he expect, really? He opened the door for me and I entered the lobby with a near silent “thank you”. I saw the lady from earlier at the desk, waiting for her room key.

“Room 23” the lady at the desk said, handing her the key and numerous papers. The lady said thank you and looked around for any number indicating where room 23 may be.

“Hey,” I said, catching the lady’s attention as she whipped around to smile at me. “Your room is next to mine, I’ll show you where to go if you like?” I said, my room was number 22 so we were basically neighbours. These apartments were different to others and it took me a while to get used to it; it’s basically like a hotel. With the room numbers and the gate man; and the lobby etc.

“oh, yes please.” She said, putting her room keys in her already occupied hand. She held her hand out to me, I dropped two of the shopping bags onto the marble floor gently and shook her hand. “Pattie” she introduced herself;

“Courtney” I said smiling warmly at her as she did the same. We removed our hands from each other’s grip and I picked up the shopping bags from the floor.

“this way” I pointed to a silver lift that I only used when I went shopping. There were six floors here, one being the lobby. I was on the second floor which I was happy about because then it’s less hassle to go up the stairs. We both walked into the lift once it opened, and I pressed the red button for our floor. “So, was that your son you were with before?” I asked politely, trying to start a conversation.

“Oh Gosh yes!” Pattie exclaimed, “I’m sure you’ll love him, real sweetie” she said, smiling at me in complete adoration. I wish I had such an amazing bond with my parents, but they decided I wasn’t good enough for them once they compared me to my ‘sister’. Lets just say they didn’t approve of the way I dressed, spoke, lived. I always thought they hated me, as if I was a burden. Anyway, soon my suspicions succeeded as they gave me a week to find a place to stay, and once I had they cut off all forms of contact. Now, I have no idea where they live. They’re not my family anymore, just a bunch of lost memories. Pft, I sound so cheesy. But to be honest, I don’t miss them. I only miss being able to call somebody Mom, or Dad.

“I’m sure I will” I said, I hoped we did get to know each other. I needed a friend, I hadn’t had a friend since I left home; I’d cut myself off from any form of friendship. I had nobody and nothing but Gingerbread, my cat that did nothing but eat. I sound like such a sad, boring girl now, with no body to talk to.

“But, Courtney. You need to know that he’s blind” she said, giving me a sympathetic look. So, he’s blind as in, can’t see blind? Oh my god. I gulped; I’d never interacted with a blind or deaf person. What would I do? I guess act normal? “I’m sure he wouldn’t mind me telling you, but he was born blind” she said, her mood faltering. Yet she still managed to present a thin-lipped smile.

The lift doors opened and I walked out, showing Pattie to her room. “Thank you sweetie, would you like to come in?” she asked kindly, her soft hand holding the silver door knob ready to walk in.

Thinking about her generous offer for a moment, I decided against it “I really would love to but I better unpack” I said gesturing to the four shopping bags in my hands, rolling my tired eyes.

“Ah, yes of course honey. Well I’ll see you late then. Thank you” she said, smiling and walking into her room as I did the same.