Chapter Two

I watched the red, orange and yellow flame move from side to side rapidly. I was sitting on my torn, red sofa with my laptop on my lap and Gingerbread purring next to me. It was around ten o’clock and the sky was dark, but the lights from the streets of New York shone through my window. I always kept the lounge curtains open, it was the window with the best view. I loved the view, bright lights and colourful signs everywhere. I was a girl for the city that was for sure.

I’d decided to light a fire, my room wasn’t exactly the warmest this time of the year. 25th November, just a month till Christmas. I rarely celebrated Christmas, I had no body to celebrate it with. Apart from Gingerbread. I would receive multiple printed Christmas cards from companies like banks and local bookstores I was a member of. But, no cards from family or friends. What family? What friends?

I huffed, taking the laptop off of my lap and onto the floor. I stroked Gingerbreads, long ginger fur, he started to purr louder making me chuckle at his cuteness.

All of a sudden there was a rushed knock on my door. At 10:08 seriously? I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion and opened my door. I was utterly surprised to see Pattie, red faced, at my door. “Oh honey, sorry it’s so late.” She started and then took a minute to catch her breath. “I need to rush to the airport, work problems. Anyway, would you mind watching Jazmyn for me? I shouldn’t be too long and I would have left Justin in charge but, you know. So, please?” Pattie rushed out, I took a moment to process what Pattie had just said. “Jazmyn?” I said.

“Oh yes, my daughter. Justin’s little sister” Pattie gushed, her voice strained as she took in deep breaths.

I nodded and smiled politely at Pattie as she placed her room key in my palm. Giving me a quick, friendly hug, Pattie rushed down the stairs muttering “thank you, thank you”. Without having any idea when she would be back, I walked back into my room.

Chuckling, I checked back on Gingerbread to see him laying down next to the fading fire, purring himself to sleep. I locked my room door and walked across the wall to Pattie’s. I unlocked the door carefully, trying not to make a noise due to the numerous key rings that were attached to it. Upon hearing the ‘click’ of the door unlocking I opened it to reveal a room much bigger than mine. Which only made me wonder how on earth they managed to afford it.  The walls were a creamy white colour, making the whole room seem brighter. The wooden flooring made the room seem bigger. I closed the door behind me and locked it. Putting Pattie’s keys on the table near the door, I walked forward.

I couldn’t see anybody, it was eerie and silent. Two rather large, black leather sofas’ came into view along with a huge flat screen TV. The wooden floor was dressed with a white fluffy rug; that I wanted to go and snuggle up to. There was a large, marble kitchen that was joined to the lounge. The long black curtains were closed but one; leaving me a small slither of the New York lights. The room really was beautiful. I scanned the room quickly, and two white, plain doors caught my attention. I knocked on each, in case it was somebody’s bedroom or something.

After waiting a few, silent filled seconds I decided to open one of the doors. I opened the one to the left, peeking first to see what it was. I was met with a long, dimly lit hallway with two doors, the same as the one I had just walked through, on either side and one at the very end. This room really was huge, compared to mine which might as well be a cardboard box.

I knocked on the first door to my left, silence. I opened the door slowly was nearly blinded by the bright lights and the glistening white tiles. It was a modern, black and white bathroom. With a tinted black shower, white glistening sink and toilet. It was a perfectionist’s bathroom for sure. The towels were folded up, the exact same size as each other, and placed in the transparent cupboards above my head. There was no light switch so it must have been automatic. I walked back out onto the dark hallway, closing the door behind me.

I knocked on the next door along and again, silence. Everything was just way too silent for me and was starting to creep me out, and all of a sudden I regretted agreeing to this.

I opened the door and walked in, this room was dark, a small pink lamp was the only light. I took a few steps forward and a single bed, dressed with multiple cushions and teddy bears, came in to view.

Tucked neatly inside was a young girl, with long, dirty blond hair cut into a fringe. She looked about three years old. I guessed this was Jazmyn, Pattie’s daughter. Pattie didn’t give me any information about what to do, so I was lost. I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing. There was a baby pink door, slightly open to reveal what looked to be a small bathroom, of course Disney princess themed.

I walked back out of Jazmyn’s bedroom and closed the door behind me. I walked further down the hallway to the pristine white door at the end. Just before I had the chance to knock there was a shuffling noise from behind me. I jumped, honestly scared to death by the sudden presence. My hands flew to my chest, my already out of sync heartbeat accelerating.

I turned around as quick as I could to see Justin, who must have come from the other one of the two doors, standing there, staring.

“H-Hey” I said, taking a few steps forward so I could see him better up close. He was good-looking for sure, beautiful honey coloured eyes, long dark lashes. He had dark eyebrows, plump pink lips. His hair was scruffy and spiked, but it complemented him. He was wearing just a white V neck and sweats. His perfect eyebrows furrowed as I spoke, he remained the same, staring straight ahead. I had to remind myself that he was blind and he had no idea who I was. I hadn’t properly spoken to Justin, I’d only seen him.

“Um, Pattie asked me to stay here while she’s at the airport or something, she didn’t really explain.” I said, a humourless laugh left my lips. Leaning over from my left foot to my right foot, I gave him a few seconds to respond. He didn’t say anything, just stood there. Although he no longer seemed confused.

I gulped; my eyes were franticly searching for something, anything to distract me from looking at his chest; that just so happened to be in my line of vision seems as I’m so small.

“Oh, gosh, Sorry, I’m Courtney. I live across the hall” I said, mentally slapping myself numerous times for forgetting to introduce myself. Justin seemed to understand more as his eyebrows were no longer furrowed and he was smiling. 

“Hey” he said, his voice low and raspy, and let’s be honest here, I nearly melted on the spot.

“Hey” I replied, “were you just going down here?” I said, pointing behind me to the dimly lit hallway. It was just then that I remembered he was blind, I’d completely forgot. Just as I was about to explain more he said,

“Oh, no I just heard you and I didn’t know who it was” he said, I couldn’t help but stare at his perfectly straight, pearly white teeth as he spoke, loving every time his lips parted.

“Oh right.” I said, suddenly the air grew think and everything was awkward. I thought for a second,

“Do you wanna watch TV?” Justin asked, smiling warmly at me.

“Yeah, sure” I said as we both made our way out of the hallway. This room was warm, too warm considering there wasn’t a fireplace. We both sat down on one of the black leather sofas, the sofa sunk as we sat down. I rested my head on the back of the sofa. This sofa was much comfier than mine. Justin handed me the silver TV remote, I turned the TV on and began to scroll through the channels. I took off my shoes, to reveal my fluffy socks, and placed them at the side of the sofa.

“Sweet 16, Jersey Shore, Geordie Shore, Who wants to be a millionaire, New girl...”

After around five minutes of pointlessly scrolling through the hundreds of channels we both decided on SpongeBob. But, instead of watching the TV I was dwelling in my own thoughts. Justin, who was sitting right next to me, could only listen to the TV but he was smiling as if he was watching it. He seemed unfazed by the fact that he was blind, and as much as I hated to say this, different to everyone else, but in a good way of course. And that only intrigued me as I wanted to find out more about him.