Chapter Nineteen

“How’d it go?” Pattie excitedly asked me and Justin as we walked into their room. She jumped up from where she sat on the sofa, smiling widely at us both.

We walked further into the warm room, our fingers laced together. The fireplace roared, its orange flames brightening up the whole room. I bit the inside of my cheek, trying desperately to hide the huge grin threatening to take over my lips, making me look like a complete idiot for sure. Everything was just too perfect. I looked up at Justin between my eyelashes; seeing that he had made no attempt whatsoever to hide his huge smile; his white teeth showed through the parting in his lips. But why would he want to hide his smile? With a beautiful smile like his, anyone would want to show it off.

“Great” he nodded, squeezing my hand gently as he did. And then I gave up, I released the inside of my cheek from my teeth’s hold, and allowed myself to let out a huge smile. I bowed my head in embarrassment, my cheeks heating up rapidly. “Fantastic” he added, making me blush even more. I swear, this boy.

“Oh honey that’s great news, Courtney are you staying the night?” Pattie smiled warmly at me, scraping her slipped covered feet across the kitchen tiled floor as she poured herself a glass of water. She nodded towards the tap, mentally asking me whether I would like a glass.

Shaking my head with a thankful smile, I responded to her previous question. “If that’s okay with you” I spoke as she placed her glass into the sink.

“Of course dear” she waved her hand, dismissing the situation. I smiled warmly, waving as Justin tugged my hand. He led me through the living room, the hallway and then into his bedroom.

His room smelt of well- Justin. His signature scent hovered around, and brought some kind of fuzzy feeling to my insides. His bedroom was warm and dimly lit as you could choose the brightness of the bulbs, and somehow it made the whole room seem warmer.

His room was clean, only a t-shirt and a pair of grey jeans placed over a chair at his bedside. There were shelves of cassettes, audio books and a small selection of CD’s. Cans of deodorant and small bottles of aftershave were dotted around his bedroom; most of which placed on a black desk. Along the wall were two small photo frames, one of Justin and Jazmyn; and another of Justin, Jazmyn, Pattie – and who I could only presume was his dad. Why had I never noticed them before?

I walked closer, as Justin fiddled around the desk and through his draws. Justin and his dad were very similar – looks wise. Justin was younger, about 15; yet he still managed to look near enough the same.

His dad was very muscular; the odd one or two tattoo’s covering his large arms. His right hand was laid upon Justin’s shoulder, who smirked at the camera. A grey beanie was placed on Justin’s head, and his –much longer than now- hair pocked out through the bottom.

Justin’s dad had his unoccupied arm wrapped sweetly around Pattie’s waist, who snuggled up to his side. It was a sweet sight, how on earth Pattie was coping without him I did not know.

I shuffled to the side slightly, a small smile playing on my lips as I looked at the second photo.

Justin looked exactly the same as now; his hair gelled up into a quiff.

Both his bare arms were wrapped tightly around Jazmyn, as she showed off her toothless, cheesy smile to the camera. Her arms were spread out wide, and her eye lids were scrunched as she laughed.

“Courts,” Justin spoke from beside me, making me snap my attention over to him. A small smile formed on his lips as I turned to see him better.

“Yeah?” I questioned, watching his every move as he walked slowly over to his bed.

“You want to watch a movie?” his eyebrows rose, and he pointed towards a small stack of DVD cases beside his bed.

“Oh-Uh, yes” I stuttered, caught off guard as he wrapped his arm around my waist, pulling me gently towards him.

“You can choose, they should all be in the cases, if not I’ll find them” he spoke, sitting cross-legged on his bed as I did the same.

*******************************************

We both snuggled into the bed, the duvet covers tightly wrapped over both of us. “You warm enough Courts?” Justin whispered, his minty breath taking over my senses. Nodding whilst mumbling a quick ‘Yes’ I snuggled into his chest, of which was covered in a white V-neck.

I was in my pyjamas, and Justin was wearing well, basketball shorts and a V-neck.

I looked down at the TV, where the movie ‘A walk to Remember’ was playing quietly. “Where do you get these movies from?” I questioned, my confusion getting the better of me yet again.

Chuckling lightly, Justin nudged his cold nose to my neck. “Mom loves chick flicks” he whispered in my ear, sending waves and ripples of shivers down my spine, and goose bumps to show up on my arms. I chuckled along with him, not really paying attention to the TV, only letting a jumbled mumble meet my ears.

Justin wrapped his bare arm around my waist, pulling me closer to his chest. I reached up, letting myself fiddle absentmindedly with the small hairs at the back of his neck. I gazed into his dark, honey coloured orbs; a warm fuzzy feeling taking over my stomach as I did. His eyelids started to droop, but before they managed to close fully, he leant down and pressed his lips lightly to mine.

My lips felt warm and numb against his, and I closed my eyes for a few silent seconds, letting the tingles caused by the kiss to take over my body. As his lips left mine, I felt almost – not whole?

He kissed my hairline sweetly, before mumbling; “Goodnight Courts”. His chin rested softly on my head, his fingers twirling a strand of my flowing hair between his thumb and index finger.

“Goodnight” I muttered, my eyelids drooping slowly. I nudged my nose further into his warm, firm chest before drowning in the darkness; sleep finally taking over me.