Chapter Thirty Seven

Courtney's POV

The drive back to Justin's house wasn't so bad, as J didn't surrender to his dreams and stayed awake. We talked about whether I should sleep in Justin's room, or in the spare room, and it didn't take much convincing for me to agree to stay with Justin. I could only hope that Pattie and Jeremy would be okay with that. 

I still had butterflies in my stomach, from knowing that Justin would be receiving his present in only a few hours, and I was hopeful that he would love it as much as I do. I was also curious about tomorrow, and what me and Justin would occupy our time doing, I was excited to spend a problem-free day with Justin, nonetheless. 

Once we arrived at Justin's new house, it was dark out, and the winter breeze hit us as we stepped out of the car. Instantly, I pulled my jumper further around me, attempting to enclose and savor as much heat as possible. My sleeves were pulled over to my knuckles, and my teeth chattered as I opened the boot and began placing boxes on the floor. I only took out the boxes I would need for tonight, or didn't want to risk getting stolen, as I needed to be quiet as to not wake Pattie or Jeremy. Justin was soon by my side, lifting a couple of boxes into his arms and then making his way to the house's front door. 

Whilst he placed the boxes in the house, I tugged on the last suitcase (it was difficult over the uneven ice) and only just made it to the doorway before Justin took it from my hands, claiming the bag was "too heavy for my delicate hands to hold". The suitcase wasn't even too heavy, and I was doing just fine by myself, but I appreciated Justin's act of kindness.

I followed Justin into the house, only now taking in the Christmas decorations. The rooms weren't drowned in tinsel, but the Christmas tree took up at least a quarter of the lounge space. Everything was kept minimal as they had very little time to prepare, but the Christmas spirit definitely showed. Presents wrapped in green and gold were placed under the tree, as well as some in brightly coloured paper and bags (most likely for Jazmyn).

 I shrugged my coat off, and pulled off my shoes, not wanting to tread dirt or water into the house. Justin soon returned from upstairs, and planted a small and sweet kiss to my temple before leading me into a room I had not yet ventured into. His arms wrapped around my waist from behind, as he prompted me to walk further.

"Oh honey! Just in time" Pattie surprisingly spoke, rushing over to us to kiss both our cheeks. I was surprised to see that everyone, Jazmyn included, was well awake and smiling brightly with paper hats placed upon their heads. Plates filled the cloth-clad table, various vegetables and meats piled on them. The smell of the roast was mouthwatering, and Justin was quick to pull me towards two empty seats at the table. 

"Courtney!" Jazmyn exclaimed once I had sat down beside Justin, running around the large wooden table to appear at my side. I gently placed her petite frame onto my lap, moving her soft hair from her eyes. 

"Hey Jazmyn, don't you look like a princess" I spoke, gesturing towards her slightly curled hair and red velvet dress. I caught Justin's loving gaze as he watched the exchange, wrapping a comforting arm around my shoulder and rubbing small circles with his thumb, and taking Jazmyn's hands in his other hand. Jazmyn nodded in innocent agreement, fiddling with Justin's fingers mindlessly. 

"Merry Christmas, Jazmyn" I whispered in her ear, before placing a loving kiss to the crown of her head. She mumbled the same in return, lack of sleep obviously catching up with her.

"You gonna tell me what you wished for, when you were talking to Santa a few days ago?" I whispered, smirking at the mischievous glint in her eyes. She seemed to be thinking over what she should do, spill the beans to me or keep me incredibly curious. Thankfully, she couldn't hold it in much longer and reached up to cup her hand at my ear and whisper, "I wished for J to be able to see you, b-because then he can read you bedtime stories, and play domino's! And he can tell you that you look just like a princess!" she exclaimed, and I found myself utterly speechless. After the first two words spoken, she had ditched the idea of whispering and spoke loud enough for everyone else to hear clearly, and I could tell that everyone was just as shocked and taken aback as me.

Justin had stopped his caressing, and as I glanced to him in concern it was easy to notice the tears pooled in his eyes, and how he forced them to stay in as he bit his lip hard. I removed his arm from around my shoulder, and grasped his hand in my own, squeezing only slightly to pull him from his thoughts that would surely only prompt more tears. "I love you both" he murmured, pulling his chair closer towards us so that he could kiss us both on the cheeks, and lovingly take hold of both our hands, looking at us in such adoration it was almost impossible to miss.