Chapter Twenty Six

"You two look happy" Pattie commented warily as we both stepped into her room, a rosy blush found its way onto my cheeks as she smiled knowingly at the both of us. Maybe Justin had told her his plans for today? Justin wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me gently to his side, his chest vibrating as he chuckled slightly.

"I asked Courts to be my girlfriend, Ma" he smiled sweetly, his eyes stared straight forward, towards the floor-to-ceiling windows.

I watched as Pattie's smile faltered a little, her gaze lowered to the ground and she brought her hands together to rest on her knees. Confused, I turned to Justin who had furrowed his eyebrows due to his mother's quietness. "Ma?" he whispered, his hold on my waist tightening slightly. I tried to ignore the uneasy, sinking feeling that welled in my stomach, and focused on Pattie as she looked up to Justin and I.

"Is everything okay, Pattie?" I barely whispered, worry laced within each word. I placed my hand over Justin's on my hip, giving it a comforting squeeze.

"Oh, yes sorry honey, that's great news", a fake, forced smile played on her lips, and she suddenly stood, making her way towards the hallway where Jazmyn's small squeals could be heard.

Once Pattie was gone, possibly to share the news with Justin's father, Justin led me into his bedroom; where we both sat cross-legged on his bed, barely apart from each other. I took Justin's hand in my own and started to fiddle mindlessly with his fingers, attempting to take my mind away from how upset Pattie looked when we shared the news.

"Maybe she is worried about you?" I softly spoke, as I looked over to Justin quizzically. Although he had not mentioned his mom, I knew it was on his mind just as much as it was on mine.

"Why would she be? She has nothing to worry about."

"Well, maybe she thinks that I'll hurt you or something? Although I would never do so, you know that right?" I could never think of hurting Justin, his lovable self made it impossible to do so. And I wasn't the kind of person that would anyway.

"Yeah, I know" the corners of his lips twitched into a small smile, and he stopped me from fiddling with his fingers, taking my hand in his own.

"She probably just took it as quite a surprise, after all, you are my first girlfriend" he shrugged, and a rosy blush crept onto his cheeks. Justin seemed to be calm about it all, whilst I was panicking so much I was using Justin's hands as a distraction. Maybe Justin was just putting up a front? Maybe he too was panicking inside, I had no idea.

I dropped Justin's hand, and walked towards the collection of framed photographs on his bedroom wall, the photo's I had already glanced at before. The photos were of the four of them, smiling together. Their arms were wrapped tightly around each other, hugging together lovingly. "What's your dads name?" I asked as the question jumped to mind, I never once took my eyes off of the family photographs.

"Jeremy, we're a family of J's... other than my mom of course" a smile was evident in his voice, and he ended his humorous sentence with a light chuckle.

The bed springs creaked and soon Justin was standing behind me, hugging me from behind. His nose nudged the nape of my neck, and his warm breath fanned out over my shoulders. His hands were placed over my stomach, and I did the same; rubbing my thumb in small circular motions over the back of his hand. Small moments like these were heart warming. Simple gestures like hugs, small pecks to the cheek and lips, brought back the reality of how lucky I was to be in the presence of Justin... let alone be his girlfriend.

"What do you want to do?" Justin placed his warm lips on my heated cheeks in a slight peck.

Shaking my head, I turned around in his arms "You," I emphasised, "are going to spend some time with your family" I poked his solid chest with my index finger jokingly. "Whereas I, on the other hand, need to feed Gingerbread and finish reading my book." A cheeky pout formed on his lips as his eyebrows furrowed and his forehead creased. Oh, If only I had my camera on me.

"But I want you to stay with me" Justin whined, his hold on my waist tightening.

Giggling helplessly I replied, "I'll pop around tomorrow, but it's nearly Christmas and you need to spend time with your family, especially your dad. Okay?" I received a relentless nod in reply. Justin needed to spend some time with his father; after all he would unfortunately be leaving in a few days.

I made my way out to the living room, with Justin following closely behind me. Pattie, Jeremy and Jazmyn were all sitting on the rug covered floor, a unfinished jigsaw puzzle spread out between them. "Goodbye" I waved to the three of them as we neared closer, Jeremy and Pattie both waved back whilst Jazmyn came running to me, hugging my knees. Kneeling down to her level, I wrapped my arms around her small shoulders and whispered a small 'Goodbye Jazmyn' before she let go, joining in with the puzzle again.

"Did you two have a good time?" Jeremy spoke up, a knowing grin found its way onto his face.

Blushing, I nodded appreciatively, whilst Justin spoke "Yeah, thanks Dad. I'm guessing mom told you?"

A hearty chuckle left Jeremy as he glanced to Pattie, leaving the conversation at that. I daren't glance at Pattie, knowing that seeing her worried face would only make my nerves worse.

We continued our way to the door, Justin kept a loose hold on my little finger as I guided him around the sofas and kitchen work surfaces. "I'll miss you" Justin breathed out, his eyes looking nowhere in particular.

"I'll be back around tomorrow, you really need to spend time with your family right now" I reassured him, reaching up and connecting our lips together in a sweet, short-lived kiss.

Without giving him any time to object, I swiftly made my way out the door, closing it behind me before making my way towards my room.

****************************************************

As morning came, golden streaks sneaked into my room, painting it golden. A quiet hum of whispers could be heard from out on the hallway, as people made their way to the elevator. Outside, the slamming of car doors, the skidding of tyres and the beeping of car horns, could be heard in my room. But I was used to it, the sounds of the streets and the cars passing by, creating noise, and not thinking of the people living nearby.

I took time eating breakfast, searching through the fridge for a carton of milk to give to gingerbread. Soon after I was showered, hair tied loosely into a messy bun, dressed in casual clothes that still managed to look presentable.

Today, to me, was much like another day. Whereas to others, today was Christmas Eve. This time in the year was to be spent with family, with people that love you. That's why Christmas Eve, and Christmas in its self, was never really anything special. I was neither religious, nor surrounded with family. I prevented myself from stopping by next door, knowing that they would sure to be celebrating Christmas as a Family. But I knew that at some point today I had to, I had promised Justin after all.

I waited until after lunch to knock on their door, deciding that it would be better then than later on in the afternoon when they would most likely be eating. My knuckled connected with the wooden door a couple of times before I waited, listening closely for any sounds of shuffling feet.

Silence.

I gave it another ten seconds before knocking again, waiting patiently.

Silence.