Chapter Four

“So,” I started, once everybody had finished with their pancakes; “any ideas of what you’d like to do today?”

Both Jazmyn and Justin huddled together and whispered nonsense, I could only hear the odd word. I stood there, leaning on the kitchen counter top watching them as they exchanged ideas of what we would be doing. “Aquarium!” Jazmyn shouted, her voice filled with excitement and enthusiasm. Chuckling, I nodded;

“Okay then, go get changed!” I squealed, I seemed just as excited as Jazmyn; and I was. The Aquarium was one of my three favourite places,

Jazmyn rushed out the kitchen and into her room, we could hear her as she discarded outfits, she really was such a diva. “We better go get changed too” I said to Justin as he nodded, his eyes shining as he beamed at me.

I’d decided to wrap up warm today, as with it being winter it was freezing! The deserted dew covered park looked frozen from my bedroom window, and the streets were almost ghostly. It was strange, seeing New York with less busy streets, normally they were swarming with shoppers or business men and women.

I took off my pyjamas, folding them neatly and them placing them at the end of my bed. Shivering, I changed my lingerie and then pulled a washed out blue pair of jeans onto my legs. I hunted around my backpack, full with toiletries and odd items of essential clothing, and took out a white sweatshirt with a large red heart in the centre. It was the only sweatshirt/jumper I had packed so really, I had no choice.

I pulled the sweatshirt over my top half, and reached into my backpack yet again for a pair of socks. “Courtney! You’re taking forever!” Jazmyn shouted from behind the door, her voice exaggerated. I pulled my socks over my feet, covering my freezing toes.

“Won’t be much longer now!” I called back as I stuffed my feet into my black pair of Dr.Martens, good job I packed these, as the rest of my shoes were either dolly shoes or UGGs which would ruin if I stepped into a puddle. I’m clumsy and didn’t want to take the risk. “Have you brushed your teeth?” I shouted over to Jazmyn, as she groaned and walked into her bathroom.

After brushing my teeth and battling the various knots in my hair, I was ready to go. I tied my hair into a high ponytail, avoiding the effort of doing anything else with it. Walking out of my room I noticed Justin, kneeled down fastening Jazmyn’s raincoat up. Her bright purple trainers flashed as she stomped her small feet against the wooden floor.

Upon hearing me enter the room Jazmyn jumped up, her arms flying around as she squealed, her trainers now flashing like crazy. “Ready?” I asked Justin who simply nodded, a bright smile lighting up his face. I smiled along with him as he picked up Jazmyn, placing her on his hip gently. I took the bunch of keys Pattie had left me from the kitchen counter and took Justin’ warm hand in mine; lacing our fingers together.

My hand felt fuzzy, a spark like feeling travelled up my arms, causing Goosebumps to rise. I tried my best to ignore the feeling as I locked the door, shoving the bunch of keys into my jeans pocket. I quickly checked my phone quickly for any messages, not like I was expecting any, and as I suspected, empty mailbox.

“Do you want to go by car or bus?” I asked Justin as we reached the lobby, trying to avoid walking out onto the freezing cold streets of New York. My car was parked just around the corner, at the side of the road.

“Whichever I don’t mind”

“Car it is then!” I grinned; I didn’t want to have to wait ages in the freezing cold for a bus to turn up anyway. We walked out of the lobby, Justin’s hand being my only heat source. Once I’d strapped Jazmyn in, I started the car.

I glanced over to Justin who was sitting comfortably in the passenger seat, a warm smile tugging at the corners of his plump lips. Only then did I fully take in his appearance, a grey V neck with the sleeves rolled up to just below his elbows, a burgundy plum coloured pair of skinny jeans which hung loose, showing off his boxers. His feet were dressed in a grey pair of supras, his favourite type of shoes I’m guessing; of which were huge and looked like they were nothing near my shoe size.

Two silver dog tags were hung around his neck and rested on his chest. His normally scruffy and spiked up hair was gelled up into a quiff just like before but a plum coloured beanie was covering the back of his head. He definitely had a great fashion, and always managed to look amazingly good looking.

Gulping down the unbearable lump that was forming in my throat, I started to drive off down the street. I guess we’d chosen a good day to go out as the roads weren’t nearly as buzzing and crowded as normal. The odd taxi flew past us, their significant colour made the whole street seem fluorescent yellow.

After twenty minutes of me driving, Jazmyn asking how much longer until we get there, and Justin remaining silent with a gorgeous mood-lifting smile on his face; we arrived. Thank goodness. I unstrapped Jazmyn and she hopped out the car, instantly taking hold of my left hand.

I walked around to the other side of the car where Justin was patiently waiting, his open hand held out to me. I took his hand in my own, my thumb gently grazing over the back of his hand. We walked through the entrance together, Jazmyn squealed at the sight of anything fish-related, which was pretty much everything.

“Two adults one child” I spoke to the lady behind the till, her hair was tightly put up into a bun leaving her to look very thin and plain. She honestly had the most defined bone structure ever, her cheeks coated in a bubblegum shade blusher and a bright red tinge was smothered over her thin lips.

Rolling her eyes, she typed the information into the till before holding her hand out. “$25” she robotically spoke, her face screamed boredom as she smiled sarcastically. Just as I was about to pay, my hand rummaging through my purse for the money; Justin handed over the amount to the lady.

“Oh, No Justin I’ll pay!” I whispered, shooting burning daggers to the lady who just rolled her grey eyes, Justin shook his head , a cheeky grin plastered across his tanned face.

A queue slowly started to form behind us as the lady slowly printed out our tickets, her long nails tapping against the work surface. Inside I was cussing, how on earth did she end up with a job here? They should fire her for having attitude or something, I don’t know!

Once she handed us our tickets we carried on through the aquarium, sting rays came into view and instantly Jazmyn ran over to them, her small hand leaving mine.

It was six o’clock when we had managed to explore the whole building, including the shop where I bought us a gift each. A shark hat for Justin, a dolphin one for Jazmyn and a fish one for me. We all looked crazy, people smiled at our immaturity and others laughed, such as Henry.

“Spaghetti?” I questioned Justin and Jazmyn, as I paced their kitchen searching for thing to eat. They both shook their heads in unison. Huffing, I sat down.

“I give up” I muttered amusingly, we’d thought of atheist fifteen different meals between us, but we couldn’t decide on any of them.

“How about I order a pizza?” Justin suggested, standing up to get the phone from the lounge table. Jazmyn and I both nodded hungrily, my stomach turned at the thought of pizza and I’m sure I heard Jazmyn’s rumble too. Justin dialled a number into the phone; it was as if he had memorised the keys on the phone as he had no struggle entering phone numbers.

“Uh yeah, wait a second” he mumbled into the phone once the guy on the other end spoke. He placed the phone to his chest, “Do you know what pizza’s you want?”

I shrugged, looking over to Jazmyn who shouted ‘Pepperoni!’. “Should we share two pizzas or are you all hungry enough to have one each?” I questioned, shifting my gaze between Justin and Jazmyn.

“One each!” Jazmyn shouted, and I’m sure I heard a muffled chuckle from the guy on the end of the phone.

“Okay then I’ll have Cheese and Tomato” I said, turning to Justin as he ordered our pizza’s including a cheese and tomato pizza for himself. Once the guy at the end of the phone hung up, Justin sat back down opposite ma and Jazmyn.

We talked nonsense for another fifteen or so minutes until the doorbell rang, silencing us all. I walked over to the door, took the pizzas from the pizza guy and handed him a $20 note. The heat from the pizzas warmed my hands as I carried the three boxes over to the kitchen. After saying a quick prayer, we each took our box and instantly devoured the warm, savoury meal. Ugh, I love pizza. To be honest I love pretty much food in general, who doesn’t?