Chapter Twenty One

After three hours of nonstop searching and shopping, I’d finally found the gifts I had hoped to give to Jazmyn, Justin and of course Pattie.

The soles of my boot covered feet were growing sore, and my knees began to ache as I made my way home. The glistening thick snow only made it harder to walk. It was now four o’clock, and due to it being winter, it would only take a small matter of time before we were set in pitch black darkness.

I was unable to stuff my frozen hands into my warm coat pockets, due to the two shopping bags I clutched tightly with both palms. The full-to-the-brim shopping bags, from various places, weighed down my shoulders; causing them to ache just as much as my knees – if not worse.

I huffed, blowing out cold air to form a misty cloud in front of me. I carried on walking, the bobble on my beanie bouncing slightly as I did.

**************

After hiding the shopping bags in my closet, I rubbed my frozen hands over my flushed cheeks, attempting to make some sort of warmth. With no such luck, I fell back onto my bed, my hair still covered with my beanie; yet it managed to flow everywhere.

I blew out yet another raspberry, my lips tingling as they were still painfully cold. I debated and contemplated over what I could spend the rest of today doing, Gingerbread was no fun what so ever and so I decided, I would go over to Pattie’s to visit the three of them.

Pattie’s room was practically my second home by now, and I’m sure I spent more time over there than in my own room.

Arising from where I lay, I took off my coat and threw it over my bed, as well as my beanie and scarf.

I used my heel and the very tips of my toes to pull my red boots off, and discarding them to the side of the door. Instead, I pulled a beige coloured pair of UGGs over my feet, instantly feeling a rush of warmth at my numb toes.

I made sure I had everything I needed, only phone and my bunch of keys, before leaving my room – locking my door – and knocking gently at Pattie’s door.

I waited for at least a minute, heading nothing but silence. My eyebrows furrowed together, I bit down on my bottom lip, surely drawing blood, before reaching my hand out to twist the doorknob.

A small click sounded, and I pushed the white door open slightly with my shoulder. Again, silence. Everything seemed the same as it was yesterday, a blanket was spread neatly over an armchair; and glistening white bowls and mugs lay upside down beside the sink.

My conscience battled with me, as I debated whether or not to turn back. But I could sense something was wrong, and that something bad was about to happen.

Walking in a little further out of the doorway, I closed the door gently behind me; careful not to make too much of a noise. Waiting for the click, I allowed my shaky hand to slip from the doorknob, and fall at my side.

My worried and utterly confused eyes wandered around Pattie’s room, taking in every aspect; hoping that there would be some kind of clue about what was going on. Everything was eerily silent, only the quiet humming of the under floor heating meeting my ear drums – That was until a loud thud echoed throughout the room.

My head snapped towards the door of which led onto the hallway, my arms spread out before me. A metallic taste filled my mouth, warning me that I was in fact drawing blood from my lower lip; and so I reluctantly released my hold. My eyes were wide as I stood frozen, my heart beating rapidly within my chest.

I drew in deep breaths, attempting to calm myself down – although in this situation there really was no point. It wasn’t going to help.

After that one thud, everything fell silent again, yet my heart still managed to beat at a hundred per second.

 I wanted to leave, but I just couldn’t. What if somebody was hurt? How would I feel if I simply walked away now, leaving somebody hurt? Awful – That’s how I’d feel.

The guilt would eat me alive, my insides kaput as my brain sent me insane.

Certainly not how I – or anybody I’m sure – would want to live.

I snapped myself back into reality, my brain ticking as I realised I was still frozen in my terrified position. I gathered myself together, breathing deep breaths before wiping my sweaty palms at the sides of my trousers. I hated this – feeling trapped in a small, confined space – Yet Pattie’s room was unbelievably spacious.

I dragged my feet over the wood floor, my hands shaking uncontrollably at my sides. What was happening to me?

My hand came in contact with the cold metal door handle, and I slowly pushed it downwards before pulling the door open towards me. The hallway was as normal; its torch-like lights flickering as it dimly lit the whole of the hallway.

‘Breathe Courtney, Breathe...’ I repeated to myself mentally, before taking a few steps into the hallway.

The hallway was typically spooky on its own, and so adding a loud thud and eerie silence to that – You get what, to me, would be a horror movie.

I debated on which door to, reluctantly, open first. Jazmyn’s.

I pushed open the door, cursing it for creaking slightly. I wandered around the room, Nothing.

Everything was placed neatly where it normally is, other than the one or two fairytale princess books which lay open on her bed.

Deciding that the thud obviously didn’t come from Jazmyn’s room, I headed out; checking left and right for any signs of movement.

I stepped out onto the hallway yet again, after I was sure the coast was clear of any ghouls – this was really how paranoid I was, I don’t even believe in ghosts. I shuffled my feet over to face Justin’s door, his door open a little and a stream of bright light shone through it. I was unable to see inside, only a small strip of his bedroom. No Justin.

I pushed the door open slowly, revealing... Justin’s room.

Yet everything was different, it wasn’t tidy as per usual; books, CD’s, DVD’s and cassettes lay with their cases open all over the floor.

I stood at the doorway for a moment, completely taken back as I wondered why on earth he would purposely do this.

“C-C-Courtney?” Justin’s small voice stuttered, his voice barely a whisper as he whimpered. Furrowing my eyebrows in confusion and hurt, I quickly rushed around the bed; dodging the cases on the floor.

My heart plummeted to the ground; shattering into millions of tiny pieces as me orbs met that of Justin’s. Tears uncontrollably welled up at the brim of my eyes, threatening to fall.

Justin sat in the corner of his room, his knees tightly hugged to his chest and what looked to be a silver dog tag at his side, as well as a cassette and a tape recorder. I fell to my knees in front of him, tears finally spilling and staining my cheeks as I instantly enveloped Justin in a tight, comforting hug. His tears soaked my sweater in a patch, although I didn’t mind at all.

His shoulders and chest shook as he whimpered and cried in my arms, his arms wrapping around my waist. “I-I miss him C-Courtney...” Justin stuttered, his sobs not giving any indication of slowing down. I could only assume he was referring to his dad, but none the less, I comforted him.

“Shhh... I know baby, I know...” I mumbled/whispered in his ear, my voice calm and yet on the inside, I was breaking.

His head lifted from where it rested on my shoulder, as he brought his face in line with mine. His minty breath hit my salty lips as he let out deep, uneven breaths. We both leaned in, our noses meeting each other slightly before finally; our tears were united and our lips brushed together in a sweet, delightful kiss.