Chapter 30

Chapter 30

-Simply Falling

Kara leaves her attorney’s office in Columbus circle feeling not much better than when she went in to see him.  He couldn’t tell her much. It seems Amelia has already filed a prohibitive injunction.  He tells her to give him a few days to check it.

Deciding to do a little shopping she hopes buying herself something will cheer her up.  She hasn’t shopped since going out with Michelle.  This time it will be her own money she spends.  Mostly looking at display windows to admire the clothing she eventually finds a sweater she wants to buy.  Pulling the black American Express card Braylin gave her out of her purse the sales clerk looks at it with wide eyes.  “Ooooh, is this all you’re going to buy with that?”  She questions.

Kara stares at the card she’s about to swipe.  Fumbling with it she puts it back in her purse.  “No….I….I’ll pay with another card.”  She’s flustered, gazing behind her, Conner would be there watching.  Reporting back to him her every move she’s sure.  Conner is about five feet away.

Grabbing her purchase she hurries out of the store trying to increase the distance between them when she bumps into someone dropping her bag.  The gentlemen picks it up handing it to her.

A look of shock is on her face.  She didn’t expect to see him here.  There has been no expectation to see him ever again.

“Kara….what are you doing here?”  Logan follows her gaze.  She’s looking at Conner.

“Ah….I had business in the building.”  Thank you, I have to go.”  She takes her picked up shopping bag from him then rushes off he follows.

“Wait….his long legs catch up with hers.

“What do you want Logan.  I’m busy.  I have to get back to the restaurant.”

“Kara wait.”  He touches her arm, she stops walking.  She looks flustered.  Conner is keeping a safe distance she can see his phone in his hand.  Why is she acting this way?  She and Braylin aren’t anything to each other. 

“Is he your bodyguard?”  Logan wants to know.

“Sort of.  He’s more like a snitch, but he watches over me, you know?”  She sounds confused.

Logan smiles at her confusion thinking she looks cute.  “Yeah, I know.  You want to ditch him and go have some lunch with me?”

“Logan I…..really shouldn’t.”  She seems unsure, it’s all he needs.

“Come on.”  He quickly grabs her hand pulling her onto the crowded sidewalk.  Looking behind him he can see Conner trying to catch up.  It’s lunchtime.  Logan knows his way around the area, he darts between several parked cars then down one street onto another pulling Kara inside one of the shops.  They stand behind a clothes rack a few minutes.  She’s giggling at how clever he appears to be in getting away from her guard-dog and succeeding at it.  These last few days have been so tense she feels smothered by everything and everyone around her.  She just wants to get away from it all for a while. Remembering the old days with Logan she is able to relax, he was always spontaneous. 

“Stay here.”  He tells her.  She waits while he walks to the door of the store entrance to see if Conner’s still around.  He doesn’t see him, going back to where Kara is standing, he holds her hand.  It’s all happening so fast somewhere in the back of her mind she knows she shouldn’t be doing this.

“Logan stop.”  She jerks on his hand not wanting to go any further.

Looking at her troubled face he’s torn almost sure that look has something to do with Amelia.