Chapter Three

I turned on Spongebob to keep Mikey quiet while I packed for our “trip.” Michael ignored my presence when I walked into our bedroom. I showered since it wasn’t even twelve yet. I felt like the shower was a great place to clear my head and stayed in there for a half an hour. I wrapped a towel around myself and let my hair air dry. Michael was sitting on the edge of the bed staring at me. It felt like we were staring at each other forever, when I broke the ice.

“I got a job. At the lab, in the city, it pays and I finished training.” Training meaning I had taken more classes for Marine Biology behind his back. I braced myself for impact.

“What did I tell you about working Jennifer?” He said so calmly that it sent shivers down my spine.

“You said no but –”

“Exactly Jennifer I said no. You have things to do here like taking care of my sons, and being I don’t know my wife.” This is much more painful than I anticipated.

“I don’t know how I’m much of a wife when you’re never home Michael. You walk around me like I’m diseased, you don’t spend time with Mikey anymore, and you’ve barely seen Leo since I’ve had him. If you want me to be your wife make damn sure that you’re being my husband.”

“Damn it Jennifer” He threw everything off of his dresser. “I swear if you were anyone else! I’m not here because I’m too busy providing for you and my children. Did you think of that before you accuse me of being a horrible father?” He asked rhetorically, and turned to face the window.

I felt my eyes begin to tear, and I knew what I had to ask. “Are you cheating on me Michael? I know the type of women you’re around. I’ve seen them.” I could see him stiffen.

“I would never imagine of doing that Jenny.” I wept he hadn’t called me Jenny in months. He raced over and held me. He wiped my tears, and kissed me. “I could never be with anyone other than you Bella.” He kissed my neck, and tore my towel off of me. He grabbed one of my breasts that were now a D cup after both of my pregnancies.

“Then what is it? Is it because of that night?” He froze, composed himself, and shot me an icy glare.

“My aunt will be here soon, make sure you’re packed we leave in an hour and I don’t want to be late to the meeting tonight.” He slammed the door and I heard him drive off. I couldn’t cry anymore. I had no more tears to shed. But on the bright side that’s the most talking we’ve done in the past month.

An Hour Later

I struggled to bring my suitcase downstairs, and Michael quickly snatched it from me and made his way to the car. Bastard. In walked his aunt Adalina. Mikey ran to her, and Michael came in and kissed her on the cheek, he then wrapped his arm around my waist and gave me that look. The ‘shut up and act like we’re a happy couple’ look. Fake bastard. “Thanks so much Aunt Ada for watching the kids for the week. We’d better get going darling.” Michael said. I began to walk out the door, when I remembered I hadn’t kissed Leo goodbye.

“I forgot something, hold on.”

“What is it now Jennifer?”

“I forgot to say goodbye to Leo.”

“Seriously?”

“You may not give a fuck about him but he’s still MY son.” That made him angry. I ran back into the house, and into Leo’s room. I held and kissed Leo, humming Beautiful Dreamer. Michael sat down in the rocking chair staring at us. “Do you want to hold him?”

“Is it ok? With you I mean?” Did he just blush? He must be crazy to ask me to hold his own son.

“Of course. You don’t have to ask.” He stood up and took him from me. This was the second time he held Leo. Michael smiled down at him, and it was the most beautiful thing I’d ever seen.

“I wish I was here for him more.”

“You can be Michael. Just work with me. I can’t change what happened but we’ll get through it together. That’s what married couples do right?”

“Yea that’s what they do.” Leo began to cry, and Michael looked like he was about to have a heart attack.

“Jenny what did I do? Did I hurt him? How do I fix it?” I almost fell over laughing. I took Leo back and began humming again, fed him his bottle and he went back to sleep.

“You’re good with him. You know?”

Yea. I’ll teach you.”

“I’d like that.” He kissed my forehead, and for the first time in a while I actually smiled.