Chapter Four

We were both sat awkwardly in the car, I knew we'd be in the car for a couple of hours for I pulled out my research that I'd been doing on aquatic life for the past month. I started studying, I felt Michael staring at me. "I envy you Jenny." I furrowed my eyebrows, how could he ever be jealous of me.

"You're better than me. I chose to live this life when I knew I could be better. I think I too afraid of my father to do what I really wanted, and now I can't get out of it."

I knew what he meant he confessed to me one night that he had wanted to be an artist. He drew so beautifully and dragged me to every art museum he could find.

"You know you can still paint Michael. We can even go back to those museums you love so much." He gave a faint smile and went back to his phone. It felt like we were in the car for hours when Michael began his yawning expenditure. I already knew what that meant. "Come on Michael, you know you want to." His face lit up like a Christmas tree, he unbuckled his seatbelt and laid his head on my lap. No matter how awkward it had gotten he'd always do that, it helped him sleep.

"Do the thing Jenny." I began massaging his head with my fingers, and soon enough he was asleep.

Three Years Ago

"Michael we're here, get off my lap before you wrinkle my dress. I want to make a good impression." This was my first time going to one of these meetings with Michael. The meetings were held every three months. It allowed Michael to keep tabs on all his workers and solve any problems. The Don always brought his girlfriend or his wife. He lifted himself off my lap and groaned.

"Well at least I got some sleep in. You ok?" He said noticing my nervousness.

"I'm nervous. What if they don't like me? What if I mess up?"

"Jenny you'll do fine. Don't be nervous, and who cares if they don't like you, as long as they respect you. I don't give a shit."

"Language Michael." I said punching him. The driver opened up the door and I was surprised to see abandoned homes, and poverty. Michael led me down a sketchy alley and knocked on the door. A huge dirty looking man opened it.

"Michael! How you been?" He said shaking Michael's hand.

"Paulie how have you been?"

"Great, but Michael who is this beauty?" He said looking me up and down. Michael stepped in front of me and explained to him that I was his girlfriend. "Well young lady, you've got big shoes to fill. Michael's mom was a sight to see."

"Well Paulie, we'd better get going everyone is waiting." Michael grabbed my hand and I waved goodbye to Paulie, who continued to watch my butt. "If he wasn't so damn loyal to my father, I would've shot him a while ago. So Bella your job is simple, sit and don't look scared. Oh and if you're asked a question, be quick about it. No uncertainty it makes you and I look weak." Michael let go of my hand and composed himself. He opened the door, and everyone stood. He walked away from me to the other end of the table which looked like it was twenty feet away. I sat at the other end. Michael didn't tell me we'd be so far away what do I do now?

"This is my girlfriend Jennifer. Please treat her as an extension of myself. Let's get to business Gentlemen." The meeting took at least five hours. I was beyond bored but tried to stay vigilant and men argued back and forth. Stay focused Jenny, don't embarrass Michael.

"Jennifer what do you think?" One man asked me. Shit I think his name was John, now what the hell were they talking about. Michael gave me the most deadpan of looks. Smug Bastard I could've really used the help. They were talking about something, I need to stall.

"Could I have a drink of water please?" Alright let's put this 20/20 vision to work and I glanced at peoples notes. They were talking about the police cutting off shipment.

"Well John, was it?" He nodded. "The best way to have to avoid them confiscating your merchandise is to get someone inside. Anyone can be persuaded to do what you want when given the right motivation. Start with a new officer and work your way up." I said as confidently as possible, and hopefully I said the right thing.

"Mmmhh I like the idea." John said. Michael smirked and nodded at me. Thank God, I don't know if I could do that again.

To zaza10 for reading my story. It made my day.